Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #1

Hello!

Hello all!

I'm a complete photography newbie that is about to graduate and begin an exciting career as a political organizer. I'm looking to purchase a new camera and after doing some research I've decided I want to buy into a Pentax kit. I liked the idea that 2nd hand glass was available and that there was a very supportive pentax community to help me learn the craft.

So my first question is: I am looking to get the most camera/lenses for my money. I'm in the 500-700 dollar range (willing to go a bit higher if need be). I'm fine with buying used.

Generally I'll be shooting street stuff, travel photography, nature shots, etc. I might have the intention of getting into macro because I have a love of mycology. I guess I'm just a general all purpose. Where should I be looking K-x vs K-r is kinda what I'm looking at right now. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

04-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard, locke07!
I have a K-x and love it. It is an excellent little camera and regarded as one of the low light beasts in its class. The K-r is essentially an “improved” version of the K-x; notably the addition of viewfinder focus points and Front/Back focus correction; just to name two.

IMHO, you can’t go wrong with either. If I were in your situation, for $700 I would consider a K-r with 18-55mm kit to get my feet wet. Then decide later on for a second lens….but that’s just me. K-x has been discontinued so availability (new) is somewhat scarce nowadays. However, some online retailers still have a few in their inventory. Cheers!
04-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, and welcome, locke07. Keep checking the Marketplace, and you might find what you're looking for. Today there was a K-7 listed for $625, and an 18-55 for $85. K-x and K-r listings pop up as well.
The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com
You can also read Adam's Sticky to find out how to post your own "Wanted" thread. Enjoy the forum!
04-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I have a k-x and K20D, I love my K-x, I bought it with the 18-55 and 50-200 for around $700. I did search on the internet to find the best deal at the best price. The market place has seveal k-x showing up. Check it out. Welcome - I am a newbie too.

04-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
Wow thanks for the warm welcome! Definitely like the Pentax community already!
04-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

locke07,
Saw this ad you may be interested in.
DSLR - Pentax Kx (white) w/ 18-55 kit lens.
04-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #7

Welcome, I am new too! I just bought a K-r and I am very happy with it. I read a lot about the cameras in this price range and felt it offered the best camera for the money.
I searched real hard and found a deal on the kit and paid $600 total price. (Black)

Like me, you have found a great place to learn more about photography and get great information.

David