Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello from Oxford

Hi Pents

Just a quick hello from a newbie. Just ordered my first DSLR, a K-5 with twin zoom kit. I've waited a long time for this, my last SLR was an MX, lovely camera. It's good that Pentax are competing with the CONS that fill every camera shop here in the UK (Cannon Olympus Nikon and Sony). Being a bit of a night time sailor, the weather resistance and high quality low light image capability was important, but it's good to know that Pentax are producing such a fine camera.

Can I add that this looks like a really helpful forum.

Ronnie

04-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Hello and welcome. You will enjoy your K5. A great camera. I missed Oxford when I was in England to my regret. Would love to see some of your photos of It to show me what I missed.

Dennis
04-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey Dennis

Thanks for your comment. I will post some Oxford photies as soon as I master the camera, but don't hold your breath - I really am a bit of an amature. 'tis a nice town, this Oxford - I hope I can do it justice!

Ronnie
04-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

From the pictures I've seen of the university, I would go crazy there. At least 2 or 3000 shots. Am trying to get back to England next year( if I can swing the $$) but am thinking of concentrating on Wales. I like castles. Maybe fly into gatwick, rent a car & hit Oxford on the way

Dennis

04-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I was in the US military stationed at RAF Upper Heyford and spent some time in Oxford. Lived in a small town named Bicester (pronounced Bister). I really miss English beer!!

You can buy Guiness here, but it doesn't taste the same...

Welcome!
04-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, Ronnie. I too love my K-5! As well as the points you mentioned, I love the availability of the old lenses, and I also found that it just plain felt better in my hand than any other camera.

Birdman69 mentioned Guinness - I have to say that I've had a few great pints here, but it was better in Temple Bar. Also, just had a wee dram to celebrate the Canucks victory (I know, NHL hockey is a non-event there).

Looking forward to seeing some photos from your part of the world.
04-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #7

Hi, Ronniemack, and welcome.

I nearly wore out one MX and ran miles of film through another...and though I mostly shoot digital now, I still have the old MX bodies and lenses in my stable. I stayed with film a long time before I got my first DSLR, a K100D. I think you'll find the transition from Pentax film to digital surprisingly easy. I have used digital Sony, Canon and Nikon company owned cameras at work, but I much prefer the handiness of the Pentax digital line. You'll find friendly folks and lots of information here.
04-29-2011, 06:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all your kind comments guys. Picked up the K-5 on Wednesday, first sight of one of these, and have taken to it in a big way - I was right to trust the reviews,in particular Dpreview and PentaxForums. The 350+ page operating manual tells me I have a lot to learn therefore much to enjoy.
Like you say Dennis, there's plenty to photograph in Oxford which will go well with my interest in archiecture. Wales is a fine country, but when it comes to castles, Scotland is the place, trust me on that.
Thanks also Mark and Arn for your endorsement of Pentax legacy - there are so many 'redundant' good pentax lenses out there that are looking for new owners - more on that later......