Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #1

Hello, from Queensland, Australia

Hi there!,

I've just recently gotten myself a Pentax K-r (less than a week ago!), and am so far loving the camera.

My photography background: Started out years ago with a little point and shoot. Played with a film SLR for a little bit, and went back to a point and shoot (was probably too young to appreciate the SLR), before delving into the world of superzoom compacts. Had a Casio superzoom of some description, and then got a Minolta DiMAGE A1 which I had for about 8 years. Loved the camera to bits, it wasn't overly expensive, had all the manual features of a simple SLR, had a great zoom lens on it, and was small enough to carry most places. Unfortunately the low light capabilities left a lot to be desired. So I started looking at replacing it...

I was originally avoiding getting a dSLR because I didn't want the bulk or the price that it attracted, and was looking at superzoom compacts. Then I started looking (more seriously) at pro-compacts such as the Canon G12, and the 4/3 cameras such as the E-PL1. And then I stumbled upon the K-x and the K-r, and well, now I have one Things I like so far:

- Very fast and responsive
- Awesome autofocus (have not noticed the FF issue that seems to be mentioned here a lot yet)
- Low light is really great! It's not magical, but it's miles better than my A1 is.
- It was relatively cheap compared to a lot of other dSLR's, although I've since read on this forum that I probably could have gotten it cheaper, BAH!
- Burst mode is absolutely amazing.
- It's only marginally bigger than my A1, and fits in the same camera bag

Things I don't like so far:

- 18-55 kit lens isn't as awesome as the A1 lens in speed or telephoto ability, which isn't so bad seeing as I can replace it, but replacing it with something awesome costs a lot of money
- Didn't come with a lens hood, but have ordered one from eBay.

Anyway, looking forward to taking lots of awesome photos

04-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. You have a great number of fellow Aussie's here. You also got a great camera. Post some photos. We'd love to see them

Dennis
04-28-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome mate.
And great to see another Queenslander join the forum.
Where are you in the sunny state?

I'm sure you'll find the K-r a fine piece of work. It's an advanced dSLR packed into a small entry-level one.

You want good, compact and light lenses with phenomenal image quality and solid build? Well Pentax is the master of them...
Check them out:

But don't let me be the cause for any lens buying addiction...
Enjoy!
04-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by demuire Quote
18-55 kit lens isn't as awesome as the A1 lens in speed or telephoto ability, which isn't so bad seeing as I can replace it, but replacing it with something awesome costs a lot of money
Not all that much money...
And you can read here for more: A lightweight prime kit, by Pentax. - PentaxForums.com
Enjoy.

04-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ash: I'm from Brisbane, but living in Ipswich. Halfway to Toowoomba, sort of

Haha, I must admit that I've been scouring eBay for lenses I'm totally confused as to what works and all that with the K-r though.

From what I gather, ALL Pentax lenses work with the K-r, although the DA ones are made specifically for the dSLR. Is the only downside to a non-DA lens that it is bigger and chunkier? And the F series ones apparently work too, and have all the normal auto-focus, auto-aperture stuff, although they also have an aperture ring? How does that work? And then the A, M and K ones don't have the auto-focus etc?

And then within those lenses, I'm still trying to work out what all the letters mean, the only one I've figured out is WR (weather resistant), DA* and DA-L. There seems to be so many other letters like "IF", "ED", "AL", "SMC" (super multi coated?), "SDM"...???

And then there's the third party lenses like Tamron and Sigma, if they have a Pentax mount will they work with all the auto-focus and auto-aperture etc? What do their model designations mean? The only one I know if is the HSM which is their super quick and quiet ones?

So much to learn!

Here is my first foray with the K-r (less than 12 hours after I got it, I hadn't even read the user manual! Wish I discovered the AF-C earlier in the evening...):

Photo Album | Planet FookStar
04-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Hello from another Aussie. A very warm welcome, it is great to have you join us.
This is the place to come to find answers to any of your questions, so do not be afraid to come with any questions, suggestions etc and of course, photos.

You will find this is a very friendly and helpful group of Pentax owners.