Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 01:10 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
crombie

I'm a semi retired freelance photographer and I'm now involved with teaching photocraft...really more as a mentor. I traveled the world a bit on assignment and was even sponsored by Pentax Canada for awhile.

I've become wiser and I'm back to being a photo enthusiast!

My first really good photo was shot with an early Asahi Pentax circa 1959 which I was loaned to me by the camera shop I worked for part time. So ever since I've had a special affection and also as professional.

I'm absolutely a total novice with anything like a forum etc and hope to learn and try to be in some way a constructive voice.

I am an reasonably accomplished b&w shooter, Zone System and have a lot of darkroom experience and do have a fairly good working darkroom in my basement.

There is a growing interest in film/b&w and along with this film cameras and I've got 4 35mm's and 10 lenses along with a new K- X and an older K10D.

I'm still shooting a little pro stuff and use a Nikon D90 with Sigma lenses who sponsors me. So take a peek at: Sigma Canada

Guess this is it for the moment and it's nice to get invoved!

04-28-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and thank you for the comprehensive introduction, please enjoy your stay.
04-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
I have a rather rare Pentax lens it's an SMC 85mm f2.2 'soft' in K mount. It's a wonderful optic but have no idea about it's heritage and would really appreciate if anybody knows about this gem.
05-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Crombie. I'm a real beginner by comparison to you, but I can tell you that here are a couple of reviews of your lens on the forum at SMC Pentax 85mm F2.2 Soft Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
Enjoy!

05-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
Welcome to the forum, Crombie. I'm a real beginner by comparison to you, but I can tell you that here are a couple of reviews of your lens on the forum at SMC Pentax 85mm F2.2 Soft Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
Enjoy!
Thanks very much! I'd had some excellent results with a more recent Pentax 'soft' lens and while I can't do any side by side comparisons I'm really appreciating how the whites don't seem to flare as much into adjacent blacks. The halo effect can be distracting and of course closing the lens down does control this it's just my personal impression this lens is a keeper.

I do alot of beauty/fashion shooting and over the years I've tried just about every filter-diffuser-contrast reducing glass and plastic available including all sorts of custom made stuff. And while there's no single anything that is perfect there's no question that lenses's specifically designed for softness have an certain blending that is very pleasing to the viewers eye.

I'd be very interested if anyone has some thoughts or related experience having to do with soft vs diffusion or are they the same?