Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 04:39 AM   #1

About me

About me

Hello everyone

First, I am sorry for my poor English (I'm helped by "Google Translation"). Then I have to say that I am not a fan because I'm not fanatical about anything!

I have a solitary nature and I am very critical about the social world.

I need to create to assume myself as someone different, and not to feel me persecuted by the "main stream". That's why I make music, I write, and I take pictures. I do not need a large audience to persevere because I am not professional. I am a true amateur who must create to survive.

My main inspiration is music. But I have a very contemplative character, and I can not satisfy myself only with the things that move. Music is like movies, it is fleeting. Pictures are like literature, you can take all your time before turning the page!

I live in Charleroi, Belgium. It is a city that has a long history of mining and steel industries. Today, it remains little more than traces. So it is with a great pleasure that I step on the slag heaps, overgrown vegetation, and I take pictures of the city and industry.

I started with a Pentax ist-DL that I bought second-hand for 250 EUR, with its 18-55. But I quickly used old prime lenses that are to me as "crystal balls": they allow me to bring up the ghosts of the past. I chose Pentax for its wide compatibility. I like to find some great old lenses on Ebay, and give them a second "digital" life. Each has its own personality. Obviously, I work mostly manual focus.

I recently bought the Pentax K-5 with the 18-135. I reserve this lens primarily for "tourism" or to "take notes" with the ist-DL. I much prefer my good old prime lenses to get my "good" pictures.

I am a reader of PentaxForum for a long time. Today, I signed up for an opportunity to share my opinion from time to time.

Thank you all.

04-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Victor, and I hope you find community here on this forum.
I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting with the K-5.
Look forward to seeing your music (and other personal pleasures) through your lens.
04-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hello Ash

Thank you for your welcome message. It's very nice of you to read and greet newcomers to the forum. I will still take some time to explore the possibilities of my new K-5. But it has already taken place in my bag next to my trusty ist-DL!

See you soon.
04-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #4

nice to meet you

04-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bienvenue, Victor. Pas besoin de présenter des excuses - Je ne parle pas wallon, et ont seulement un peu de français.
A number of years ago we were lucky to visit Belgium when our daughter was there on exchange. Your part of the world is lovely, and I'll look forward to seeing some photos.
Isn't it great that all the old primes work on the K-5?
04-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hello pjm2007 and Am,

Thank you for your welcome.

Yes, hunting old lenses on EBay is almost as fun as hunting for new photographic trophies!

You can see some of my old pictures here: <https://picasaweb.google.com/bilciv>

These pictures taken at the ist-DL were heavily reworked with Gimp. I like this job very much, it makes me think to the darkroom work. But there are so many more possibilities!

Charleroi is not a city renowned for its beauty! But I am convinced that we must always learn to watch again and again, to make some good pictures. And, when I look, I can always find fun things
to shoot.

Here are some pictures we took, my son Antoine and I:
  1. ist-DL Soligor 3,5/180
  2. ist-DL Soligor 3,5/180
  3. ist-DL Zenitar 2,8/16
  4. ist-DL Soligor 3,5/180
  5. ist-DL Pentax ED AL 3,5-5,6/18-135
Attached Images