Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greetings from Fabulous Las Vegas

Greetings from Las Vegas, Nevada.

I just got a Pentax K-x a couple of months ago and I totally hated it.

However, since I ditched the crap toy kit lens the camera came with and began shooting with an old SMC-M 50mm f/2.0 lens off my college-days K-1000, I've turned 180 degrees and now I'm loving it.

Check it out below

I'm now waiting on a SMC-M 28mm I just got off e-bay for $55, and hopefully that lens will be even doubly useful.

More about me: I'm 42 years old, born and raised in Los Angeles.

Currently living in Las Vegas, moved here in 2009 after living in Norwich, Norfolk, UK for seven years.

I studied fine art and photography in college, eventually graduating from Cal State University in Fullerton with a degree in Art. That is where I got my first Pentax, the old school, eternally cool K-1000.

My emphesis was in Drawing and Painting, but I took many photography classes as well. As I've gotten older, I feel like I can express myself a lot more with photography than painting or drawing.

For the past three years or so I've used a Canon Powershot A1000 point and shoot camera and processed my shots with Picasa and Paint.net, both freeware programs. I'm poor.

I've only recently upgraded to the Pentax K-x.

I call myself an Urban Landscape Photographer.

I take pictures of city streets, freeways, strip malls, light industrial complexes and suburbia. Urban landscapes. My philosophy is this:

I could probably go to some exotic island or lush tropical jungles and crank out beautiful shot after beautiful shot. But, many people don't live exotic islands or tropical jungles, many people just live in suburbia.

So, doesn't it make sense to try to find beauty where you are? Where others see soulless architecture and drab surroundings, I try to see interesting shapes and angles, light and shadow interplay, cool juxtapositions of images and themes

That's what I do. I try to find beauty in places most people have written off as ugly. And, yes, I do fail much of the time, but that's only because I continue to develop my eyes and hone my craft.

I have a total, impassioned and unwavering belief in my art.

Here is my flickr stream, if anyone is interested

Flickr: pony.rojo's Photostream

Anyway, that's me.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
05-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join us. Please enjoy your stay.
05-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome and glad you like your Pentax x 2. I just started a mini-challenge unto myself regarding urban landscapes. It will be intresting to see your work.
05-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #4

I love you Photos in you Flickr folio. I lived in Vegas 11 years ago and always had my point and shoot with me. I wish I would of has an slr at the time.

05-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone!
05-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the Forum! I teach at Cal State San Marcos and often go to Las Vegas to visit my son and his family. You will really enjoy the camera now. The first time I put an old lens on the Pentax K-r I was shocked at the difference too. Keep posting pictures and enjoy your stay!