Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #1

Greetings from Japan

Hey All!

I'm currently working in Japan, but originally from the states. I've been eyeing a DSLR ever since my brother got his Canon XS, and was going to get a Canon too. I'm an SLR newbie, so I wanted to go with a Canon because people told me they were the best, but I love researching so I spent a ton of time looking into cameras before my purchase. I was all set on buying a Canon T2i until I remembered DSLR photography wasn't all about the body, but the lens, so I decided to check out Pentax just in case. So in my research, I came across this site and was blown away by the quality of the images here (esp the limited lens) and the great community.

After lurking and reading almost everything about Pentax, I decided a Canon wouldn't be good for me (more expensive body, more expensive and heavy lens, and never seeing myself going to go up to a pro 5Dish model) and decided on a navy K-x with money saved going towards some limited primes. =)

So I just wanted to introduce myself as a beginner, but excited about my first DSLR purchase and looking forward to learning how to take awesome pictures. =) Nice to meet you all.

05-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Byakko Quote
Hey All!

I'm currently working in Japan, but originally from the states. I've been eyeing a DSLR ever since my brother got his Canon XS, and was going to get a Canon too. I'm an SLR newbie, so I wanted to go with a Canon because people told me they were the best, but I love researching so I spent a ton of time looking into cameras before my purchase. I was all set on buying a Canon T2i until I remembered DSLR photography wasn't all about the body, but the lens, so I decided to check out Pentax just in case. So in my research, I came across this site and was blown away by the quality of the images here (esp the limited lens) and the great community.

After lurking and reading almost everything about Pentax, I decided a Canon wouldn't be good for me (more expensive body, more expensive and heavy lens, and never seeing myself going to go up to a pro 5Dish model) and decided on a navy K-x with money saved going towards some limited primes. =)

So I just wanted to introduce myself as a beginner, but excited about my first DSLR purchase and looking forward to learning how to take awesome pictures. =) Nice to meet you all.

Welcome. Hope you're not glowing green. But you will be happy with what you find with the camera. I did the same thing. I was all set about getting into the DSLR world, and instead of the XT (canon entry level at the time) and the Nikon D40, I went with Pentax for the features and price compared to the name brand and the hooplah.

Pentax has been very good to me. And as long as you stay out of that pro range, you should be good.
05-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome! You're gonna love your new camera and this forum is so amazing you'll fall in love with it too :-D You should also check out the Japan group on here. Its not super active, but from time to time we put some things in here
05-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome! I did the same thing! I was getting ready to buy a Canon DSLR and, in reading the reviews, came across someone's review on the Pentax K-x. In the end I bought the K-r and am very happy with it. Hope all is well with you in Japan and please post many pictures!

05-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How can you NOT love the system. I did the same thing going to the extent of checking the noise level ratings on the different systems and the image resolution, Pentax came out ahead (K7). Then there was the thing where I could use EVERY lens Pentax made for 35mm AND the 645!

So many choices, so many lenses, not enough money!

Enjoy!