Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #1

using an old lens

Hi
i am a newbie to digital photography and would like to know if i can use my sigma aspherical 28-200 mm lens from my old pentax mz-5n film camera on my new KX or could there be any drawbacks?.
cheers would be glad for any advice you can give me.
sphinx.

05-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard, Sphinx!! I'm assuming you're referring to the K-x dSLR and not the Pentax KX film SLR. I believe the MZ-5 uses the KAF2 mount so yes, the old lens should fit your K-x. I've never owned this lens or whether it has the infamous "Ricoh Pin" or not but just in case, I would research the said pin here in the forum or the internet. Cheers!
05-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good news, you are all set! I am not familiar with that particular lens, but if it has an "A" setting on the aperture ring, then you can even use it as you would any other lens, except that it might be manual focus. Just remember the infamous "crop factor". Because the sensor on the KX is smaller than a 35mm film frame, you get the effect of a lens 1.5x the focal length of the lens you are actually using. THis is a magnification effect, but DoF characteristics do not change. So, the 28-200 is equivalent to a 42-300mm lens in 35mm, but at 28mm (on the lens) you will still have more DoF than you would with a 42mm on 35mm film cameras.

The only drawbacks are possible manual focus and if it does not have an "A" setting on the aperture ring. It can still be used without an A setting, but your camera (KX) has to be set to use that aperture ring. Can anyone out there help with this part of it if necessary??

Regards and good luck with the new system!