Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #1

Greetings from Central Oregon

Hi everyone:

I'm happy to be a new Pentax Forums member.

A bit about me: Last summer I bought my first camera, a Panasonic Lumix LX3 and discovered the joy of photography - or rather fell in love with light and the prospect of learning how to see all over again.

So, early this year, I began shopping for a dslr, and after giving up the fantasy of owning an M9 and Leica glass, bought what I believe is the next best thing: a K-5 and four gorgeous Pentax lenses: the FA-31mm, FA-43mm, FA-77mm, and a DA-15mm. I couldn't be happier were they made in Solms.

Now I just need to learn how to use the kit. Boy have I got a long way to go! So, I'll be a regular here, trying to learn all I can. This is a great resource and a great community.

Oh, a few weeks ago I rented a DA* 300mm lens and got lucky with a few shots of birds in flight. I'll see if I can figure out how to post them here. Now if Pentax would only make a 400mm f/4…

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

geetee

05-04-2011, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome geetee, looking forward to your bird shots!

Here is a short introduction on how to post photos:

how-post-images-beginners-start-here
05-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome! What a nice set up to start with! You are really going to love the kit. Enjoy the Forums!
05-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks

Hi -

Thanks for the greetings, and for directing me how to post pix. I managed to create a photo album called Tule Lake.

cheers - geetee

05-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ole - the shots of the Iguanas in your Caymans album are wonderful. Incredibly sharp.
05-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, geetee. Oregon is a lot like BC - so many different and beautiful landscapes. I'll look forward to seeing some photos of your area.
05-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi Arn

QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
Welcome to the forum, geetee. Oregon is a lot like BC - so many different and beautiful landscapes. I'll look forward to seeing some photos of your area.

Central Oregon is different from the image most people have of Oregon. It's not the lush, green of Western Oregon. Here it's high desert: Pondersosa pines and sage country with the big volcanoes of the Cascade Range to the west. And this year spring still hasn't quite sputtered to life yet. Argh.

geetee

05-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I love your part of the state - we lived in the Okanagan Valley just north of you for 25 years. Big, beautiful dark green pines against the blue sky. And the spring wildflowers are gorgeous!
05-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hello geetee, I'm near Portland and will be out your way to shoot at the Painted Hills in a couple weeks.
05-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #10

Original Poster
Okanagan

Yeah, I love your part of the state - we lived in the Okanagan Valley just north of you for 25 years. Big, beautiful dark green pines against the blue sky. And the spring wildflowers are gorgeous!
Hey Arn: Strange, I almost referenced the Okanagan in my previous post, knowing it would be most like Central Oregon - though far lusher. Hey, can you tell me how I post a pic in this thread? Or point me to a page on the forum w/ instructions?
05-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, geetee.
If the page that first opens for you is the same as for me, it has "Our Pentax Forum" for the first 3 items.
Click on the second one "Site Suggestions and Forum Help."
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/

On that page, Click the "Sticky Forum Usage Guide."
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/314-forum-usa...-features.html

On that page, under point "0", the 4th line has a link to photo posting info
Want to know how to embed photos in your posts? See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...de-images.html

That page has everything you need.
05-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #12

Original Poster
Yeah, geetee.
If the page that first opens for you is the same as for me, it has "Our Pentax Forum" for the first 3 items.
Click on the second one "Site Suggestions and Forum Help."
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/

On that page, Click the "Sticky Forum Usage Guide."
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/314-forum-usa...-features.html

On that page, under point "0", the 4th line has a link to photo posting info
Want to know how to embed photos in your posts? See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...de-images.html

That page has everything you need.

Thanks so much, Arn. I went to the Painted Hills of Oregon last weekend. The weather was wretched, and I was with a non-photog friend... so photo ops were minimal. Still, the k-5 and the FA limited pulled out details I never saw. I'll try and post a few soon. Cheers and thanks again... .geetee
05-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're welcome.
Wretched weather? Yeah, this spring has been wet, cold, and then wet and cold! It reminded me that last year on a May trip to Ashland, we got poured on all the way down the coast. I'll look forward to the photos.
05-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Hello geetee, I'm near Portland and will be out your way to shoot at the Painted Hills in a couple weeks.
Hey how did the shoot at Painted Hills go?
05-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geetee Quote
Thanks so much, Arn. I went to the Painted Hills of Oregon last weekend. The weather was wretched, and I was with a non-photog friend... so photo ops were minimal. Still, the k-5 and the FA limited pulled out details I never saw. I'll try and post a few soon. Cheers and thanks again... .geetee
Here's one. I posted a few more in an album called Painted Hills
Attached Images