Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #1

First Post

I just joined the Pentax Forum after months of enjoying the vast amount of information available. I have been almost exclusively a Pentax film camera user since 1983 using an LX (my absolute favorite), Super Program, PZ-1p and a KX for film SLRS along with a 1stD for a DSLR. I have all of the fixed aperature SMCA zooms except the 35-70mm F3.5.

Been in and out of digital since 2001 (starting with a Canon G2) and currently am using film both transparency and negative (both color and b&w). I would return to digital if Pentax had a full frame DSLR but I do not see that happening.

05-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! As great as FF IQ is, it looks like the gap between it and APS-C is closing as sensor technology imporves. You never know what Pentax might announce- but my fear is that the cost of making an FF body will outweigh the benefits by the time they get around to reconsidering.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Beverlin Quote
I just joined the Pentax Forum after months of enjoying the vast amount of information available. I have been almost exclusively a Pentax film camera user since 1983 using an LX (my absolute favorite), Super Program, PZ-1p and a KX for film SLRS along with a 1stD for a DSLR. I have all of the fixed aperature SMCA zooms except the 35-70mm F3.5.

Been in and out of digital since 2001 (starting with a Canon G2) and currently am using film both transparency and negative (both color and b&w). I would return to digital if Pentax had a full frame DSLR but I do not see that happening.
Hi Jim: Welcome. I'm a newbie here myself, and a complete noob to photography. So take what I say with a handful of salt. If you are waiting for Pentax to build a full frame, you should read the review of the k-5 on DxOMark. Google that, it will come up. Here's the second and third paragraphs from their review:

"No need for suspense: this new 16.3 MP sensor is simply the best APS-C we have tested so far, sometimes able to compete even with very high-end full-frame cameras.
The overall score of the K5 puts it in the lead with 82 points more than 9 points better than the D90 or the Alpha 55, and 16 points ahead of the Canon 7D or 60D. The K5 is literally the best APS-C performer for each segment, even in low ISO."

True, your lenses won't have the same fov, but ... all the more reason to buy more.

cheers - geetee
05-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks geetee. I agree the K5 is the best of APS-C DSLRS. My issue is I used Kodachrome for decades and nothing, in my opinion whether film or digital, is the same as Kodachrome. I also love mechanical cameras. My objection to DSLRs today is the absolute huge amount of features plus the complexity of the menus. I will say my 1stD is a very basic DSLR and a joy to use. A man that I work with is a loyal Canon user and just purchased a 7D. He figures he will need a least 2 or 3 evenings to get a handle on the features the 7D has. A friend of mine who is a semi pro just purchased a Nikon D3s. He figures the same thing. Time spent with the owner's manual to figure out all of the features. It took me less than 5 minutes to learn all of the features my LX has to offer. However, I am realistic that I will eventually have to go back to digital. Just not sure when that will happen but for the present I will contine to enjoy film and continue forth with a huge slide scanning project. Between me and my dad we have about 7,000 slides and most are Kodachrome. I am in the process of sorting these out on a light table and scanning in the really good ones. It is amazing that Kodachrome slides going back to 1942 look like they were just taken.

05-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #5

Hey Jim: I appreciate your commitment to film. And I've read about the amazing archival qualities of Kodachrome. Too bad it was discontinued... and Dwaynes just stopped processing, as I recall (after they were flooded by a deluge of requests as people pulled out all the stock they had on hand from their fridges... or whatever. Best of luck with the project. As for learning curve... I'm on Mt Everest.
05-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geetee Quote
Hi Jim: Welcome. I'm a newbie here myself, and a complete noob to photography. So take what I say with a handful of salt. If you are waiting for Pentax to build a full frame, you should read the review of the k-5 on DxOMark. Google that, it will come up. Here's the second and third paragraphs from their review:

"No need for suspense: this new 16.3 MP sensor is simply the best APS-C we have tested so far, sometimes able to compete even with very high-end full-frame cameras.
The overall score of the K5 puts it in the lead with 82 points more than 9 points better than the D90 or the Alpha 55, and 16 points ahead of the Canon 7D or 60D. The K5 is literally the best APS-C performer for each segment, even in low ISO."

True, your lenses won't have the same fov, but ... all the more reason to buy more.

cheers - geetee
Ditto