Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Howdy from a Freightliner

Hi. Just found this forum and thought I'd register since I'm the proud owner of a Pentax K100D equiped with a DA 18-55mm lens that I've had a few months but only recently have had the time to play around with and learn it's characteristics as a novice photographer. Don't know much about cameras and techniques to be honest and am still working my way through my camera's operating manual.

Catch ya'll later.

11-04-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi D Dude, seems were in the same boat new members with the same camera nice to meet you. David
11-04-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Howdy Cuz,

I'm out in the flat part (which is a joke only Okies will get) in Hydro. I know a few others who hang out here or on the Pentax forum at DPR. If you are in the OKC metro area, the Metro Camera Club meets the first and third Monday evenings. Their web site is Metro Camera Club I haven't been, but I know one of their members and he says they welcome new shooters. They have an education program the first Monday of the month and they judge/critique photos on the third Monday.

Do you drive Freightliners or work on them? I know there is an outfit in Clinton that does custom conversions on Freightliners for hauling RVs.

-E
11-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
Howdy Cuz,

I'm out in the flat part (which is a joke only Okies will get) in Hydro. I know a few others who hang out here or on the Pentax forum at DPR. If you are in the OKC metro area, the Metro Camera Club meets the first and third Monday evenings. Their web site is Metro Camera Club I haven't been, but I know one of their members and he says they welcome new shooters. They have an education program the first Monday of the month and they judge/critique photos on the third Monday.

Do you drive Freightliners or work on them? I know there is an outfit in Clinton that does custom conversions on Freightliners for hauling RVs.

-E
I drive 'em. My home terminal is in OKC but because I'm married to a gal from Canada I rarely get back to OKC for time off. Once we send my step-daughter off to college in a couple of years my wife will come down to the States finally.

Go Sooners!

11-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D Dude Quote
I drive 'em. My home terminal is in OKC but because I'm married to a gal from Canada I rarely get back to OKC for time off. Once we send my step-daughter off to college in a couple of years my wife will come down to the States finally.
Well, welcome aboard. If you go past exit 88 westbound on I-40, look north, honk and wave.

QuoteQuote:
Go Sooners!
Yes. I hope they go 11-1 every year. Then again, after yesterdays debacle in Stillwater, I'm wondering if I should just root for the sooners instead. Except that I'm an alum and that wouldn't go over with my former classmates... go pokes. maybe we can salvage a 6-6 season...
11-05-2007, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome Dude.

Note to Eric: How in the heck did you know he was from OKC - I didn't see any reference? Puzzled.
11-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Welcome Dude.

Note to Eric: How in the heck did you know he was from OKC - I didn't see any reference? Puzzled.
He put his location in his profile, which shows up in the left column in the skin I use. For example, you are in Windsor, Canada.

11-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #8

That's one of the best intros ever!

Howdy and welcome! Your intro is one the best I've ever seen!
11-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Pentax forum, Dude.
11-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
@Jun Park... thanks. It seems like I spend most of my life in this truck. I sometimes question my decision to become a driver even though it seemed like a good idea when I made the choice.

@JamesD... thank you. So much to learn... so little time.
11-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D Dude Quote
@Jun Park... thanks. It seems like I spend most of my life in this truck. I sometimes question my decision to become a driver even though it seemed like a good idea when I made the choice.
I have always said that truck driving is the last refuge for those who are at the same time both too sorry to work for a living and too proud to accept charity.
11-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I have always said that truck driving is the last refuge for those who are at the same time both too sorry to work for a living and too proud to accept charity.

Could be. I know that the former is often the case and the latter is rarely the case. In my situation I simply needed a change of pace after the conclusion of my first marriage and the drudgery of a job I no longer felt satisfied with doing after fourteen years. To be honest trucking was working for me as a divorced dude as it provided me the chance to see the country while at the same time earning good coin. Then I met and married a wonderful gal who has a fantastic sense of humor (enough to put up with the likes of me) and now my job isn't the same. I still enjoy driving... but...
11-12-2007, 04:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

OTR is a grind. I remember the longest I stayed out at one time was nine weeks. Left the house in June and came back some time in September. These days I'm almost without exception home every day, but I work 12-14 hours a day, six days a week as a general thing.

You'll find that photography is a good hobby to pair up with the job of truck driving. The vast bulk of the photos at this link were taken from the driver's seat of my rig.
11-12-2007, 07:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Fascinating story, guys. So, Mike, how on earth did you end up in Japan?
11-15-2007, 08:14 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
OTR is a grind. I remember the longest I stayed out at one time was nine weeks. Left the house in June and came back some time in September. These days I'm almost without exception home every day, but I work 12-14 hours a day, six days a week as a general thing.

You'll find that photography is a good hobby to pair up with the job of truck driving. The vast bulk of the photos at this link were taken from the driver's seat of my rig.
You've got me beat. Most I've done was eight weeks. I checked out the link. Interesting photos. You're still in Japan?