Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Howdy from Colorado

Howdy all.

had a K1000 back from the early 80's. Worked in a camera store. (Inkley's Photo in Layton Utah.) We took studio photo's and weddings with medium format cameras back then. It was work so I didn't really enjoy it as a hobby too much.

I have ignored DSLR and digital for years waiting for things to become mature enough.

My wife, a schoolteacher, has gone through 3 or 4 point and shots and one day she said to me "I'm tired of these little cameras they don't do what I want. We should buy a REAL camera. What do you think?"

Well... that was good enough for me... so I bought her a K-R with 18-55 and 55-300 kit lenses. And I have bought a 50mm FA f1.4 for myself. (Well okay for her too. She has friends that do concerts and wants to do some concert pictures without a flash.)

05-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! The Kr is definitely a "real" camera. This forum has great info all over so be sure to take some time and explore it. Enjoy!
05-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us.
05-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
Wow... almost exactly two years since my first post.

I just ordered a K-5 IIs and a Sigma 18-250.

The new lens isn't really "good enough" for the K-5 IIs... but I think my 50 f1.4 and 90 f2.8 MACRO primes should work very well with it. I might eventually replace the MACRO which is manual focus with an AF.

05-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... looking forward to a few shots and enjoy that new gear ... J
05-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter

New Gear?

Hello Keith, good to hear you've bought some new gear! Hope you enjoy it,
I see you're from the Springs, I live near downtown Denver, in Congress Park. If you're coming to Denver anytime soon, shoot me a PM and perhaps we can meet up. I take my macro to the Botanical Gardens frequently, lots of fine close-up photo ops there!
FWIW, there's a huge exotic car show coming Sunday, June 9th, 9am to 3pm at Arapahoe Community College. I went last year, and the range (and price!) of the autos is unbelievable. Italian, French, German,etc, all the classic models, a few upscale American classics too. There's photos in the "Gearheads Unite" thread.
If you Google "Concours de Elegance" it'll come up. Well worth the drive, if you enjoy classic autos.
I'll be there early, hopefully before it gets too hot. It was 90+ last year.
Regards from another Colorado Pentaxian,
Ron
05-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, enjoy the K-R and good luck with the concert photography, it's not the easiest of subjects.
05-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
FWIW, there's a huge exotic car show coming Sunday, June 9th, 9am to 3pm at Arapahoe Community College.
Howdy I might get up there and give you an IM before the drive up. The Botanical Gardens sounds like a good place to practice technique.

But sadly I can't go to the car show to take pictures of Italian cars. Because I'll be in Italy; probably taking pictures of Italian cars.

05-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Enjoy The Trip!

That sounds like a great trip, enjoy yourself!
I'll be going to car shows and cruises all summer, there's (literally) one every couple of weeks. But I'd be up for a macro shoot @ the Botanical Gardens anytime, let me know.
One of the (other) best classic car displays is the Golden Super Cruise, the first Saturday of each month. American cars from the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's cruise and congregate on Old South Golden Road from 3pm to 8pm. I'll be going a few times this summer.
Ron