Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from South Louisiana

Hi,
I retired a few months back and decided to upgrade my camera. After about a hundred hours I settled on the K-r, and a couple of kit lens.
I started film photography back in the 60's with Pentax, Mamiya, and Yash twins. Tried collecting a few older 6X7 and 6X9s but just drifted into digital. I still have some rollfilm in the fridge that bugs the heck out of the wife .

Company I worked for got some FZ5s for plant use, which was a step up from a pocket camera so went for the FZ20 and loved it. Got a deal of an FZ28 and used it for a couple of years (FZ20 still works great) so naturally I was interested in the FZ40 or the FZ100. But reviews of these didn't really look like it would be much of a step up. A little more money and I could move into low end DSLR.
High ISO shooting was the primary factor in picking the K-r. The shooting day just ended too early for the little FZ's. Great little super zoom cameras, if you have the light.

I got the 2 lens kit for just a little more than a body and soon found out the limitations of the kit lens. Sorted through all my K,M and T mount lens, fixed and zoom, and picked a few that worked pretty well with the K-r. I even bought some more on ebay, on the cheap, but still wasn't satisfied. Tried a 500mm mirror and wasn't impressed. So I bought an adapter and a Pentax 6X7 300mm f4 lens, used on ebay. Manual focus about 3/4 of a turn but what a step up. I'm currently building a photojournal of the bird, bugs and other wildlife around our properly as a Christmas gift for relatives, to be finished before some future Christmas I end up with 50 to 200 foot shots and the 300mm stopped down to f8 gives the sharpest results of any lens I have. A 105mm 6X7 (had to de-yellow it) for closer shots. I'll admit that away from the house one of the AF zooms is more convenient to carry than the K-r and 6X7 lens (a tad over 5 pounds), and I still take one of the FZs as a back up on trips.

Absolutely impressed with the K-r.
(I do need to resolve a small issue- so I'll search the forum)

05-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! You came to the right place to resolve anything Pentax problems. There is also great info all over so be sure to take some time and explore. Enjoy!
05-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums.
Sounds like you'll fit right in!

Looking forward to some pics.
JohnB
05-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Finally got some time to upload some of my practice to Photobucket.
I'll try and link to them ? (updated 6/13/11)

http://photobucket.com/PentaxPractice

Last edited by Rocketvapor; 06-13-2011 at 11:41 AM.
05-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Welcome to the forum