Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #1

New to photography

Hello all

After years of using compact cameras and being sick of getting the shot just after I pressed the shutter button (I have numerous just blurred photos of my youngest son, who moves to look at the screen in the gap between pressing the shutter and the photo being taken grr!) I have taken the plunge and persuaded my wife to buy me a Pentax K-X for my 40th birthday in a few weeks.

Does anyone have a basic photography skills books they could recommend? Has to be basic for my aging brain to get round it! Preferably full of practical advice rather than theory. Cheers, and looking forward to many years of using my Pentax.

05-25-2011, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #2

Welcome. As a new photog myself this web site is a great start. I'm not good at names but start with exposure by a person of the last name of Peterson. His name is used here alot. good luck and take a lot of pictures.
05-26-2011, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #3
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, and welcome , Dave. The book mentioned above is Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Peterson. Scott Kelby has also written a couple that I have found helpful. Then you have some great photography mags over there.
Here on the forum, you may also want to check out the info in the Articles section Pentax Articles | Pentax K-5 | Pentax K-r | Pentax K-x - PentaxForums.com
I keep reading, clicking the shutter, reading some more, and have taken a couple of short courses.
All the best, and I'll look forward to seeing some photos.
05-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
Great. Many thanks both of you.