Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
A new Guy from Vancouver Island Canada

Hi to Everyone - I just joined yesterday and glad to be a part of the group.
I have a pentax K10D and now a K5 body which I just bought a few days ago and
put my 31mm f1.8 on it. I think I'll be very pleased with it... took my first
pictures... available light chinadolls uploaded maybe I can get some
sort of comment. I want to get an extra D-L190 battery and wonder if
anyone can tell me if their might be any issues with using a 3rd party
D-L190...

Cheers

05-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi welcome to the Forum

I'm using a 3rd party Grip and battery with my K7 no issues. just look for one with the same MaH rating (1860 I believe) so it has in the same range for longevity before a charge. I use(d) 3rd parties with a grip on my K10 as well no issues)
The Island is a great spot for photography, my dad's in Victoria and my sister up near Cobble hill on the Saanich Inlet

(oh and a K5 with a 31 ltd very nice, it's just about a perfect setup IMHO)
05-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

pa74,

I just bought a K-5 a week ago.
I,too, wanted to get an extra battery but when Henry's quoted me $99.99 I recoiled and put it off.

However, Saturday and Sunday I was at an antique plane and car show. I shot over 100 pictures, many of them flash. The battery condition symbol was still at 'full charge' after those sessions.
I am going to see how far I can go without recharging. Perhaps the extra battery will not be necessary with my kind of shooting which rarely includes flash.
My K100D used 4 NMh Rayovac 'Hybrid' cells and I always had spares with me but only ever needed them once in two years.

Perhaps I can do without for a couple of years or until the price comes down.

Mickey
05-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
pa74,

I just bought a K-5 a week ago.
I,too, wanted to get an extra battery but when Henry's quoted me $99.99 I recoiled and put it off.

However, Saturday and Sunday I was at an antique plane and car show. I shot over 100 pictures, many of them flash. The battery condition symbol was still at 'full charge' after those sessions.
I am going to see how far I can go without recharging. Perhaps the extra battery will not be necessary with my kind of shooting which rarely includes flash.
My K100D used 4 NMh Rayovac 'Hybrid' cells and I always had spares with me but only ever needed them once in two years.

Perhaps I can do without for a couple of years or until the price comes down.

Mickey
I don't imagine the K5 is far off the K7 for battery time, in my average shooting (I shoot daily anywhere from 5-100 pics, 5000 since jan 1st) i can go pretty much a week. the reason i got the spare (and the grip) is twofold, first i once got caught out without a charged battery and missed some good stuff, second a few of times a year i shoot big events (next is North by Northeast where i will shoot likely in the range of 800-1000 pics a day for 5 days) where i need the spare to make it through a day
Flash I rarely use on camera but do occasionally for snapshot type pics. the grip comes in very handy at balancing the weight of my Sigma 24-70 2.8 and My Da14, but really is not needed with any of my other lenses per se
With the 2 batteries I shot 15 minutes of video and 600 or so pics at a show friday and I still showed about 2/3 battery power

05-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Mickeyobe,

I too recoiled at the thought of spending that amount on the D-L190 so I found a website
out of Richmond BC that sells the D-L190 7.4V at 1900Mah for 10.00 bucks plus 2 day
shipping... I paid a total of 27.00. check out...

BattDepot.ca - Green Series Battery - Specialize in selling aftermarket batteries for laptop and notebook computers, camcorder, digital cameras, PDA and Apple iPods