Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 04:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newbie from Australia

Hi everyone. I have just joined the forum. I have a Pentax K100d, and I am madly saing for the K5..although my dream camera is the 645D. I recently began baby portraits for friends and family and love it. I also love to photograph rainforests, beach scenes and insects ( in marcro mode of course). Hope to have a long and happy friendship with Pentax forums and other members!
Cheers.

06-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

G'day CHardy. Welcome and enjoy your time here.
The K100D was my first digital camera, and it actually does a decent job. Loved that 6Mp CCD sensor. The K-5 is worth saving for, though. It's Pentax's revolutionary flagship camera in the APS-C class. The 645D is hard to find around here even if you wanted one.

Look forward to your contributions here.
Where in Qld are you?
06-05-2011, 05:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to yet another Aussie. The place is crawling with us. Have a look around and when you're feeling comfortable, leap in. I also had a K100 for a couple of years and have deeply regretted trading it in for my K7. Should have kept it for a second body, it's a brilliant camera. Try and hang on to yours if you can.
06-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Ash, Im just down the toowoomba range...Gatton area..small world hey....lol. Wombat, I love my K100D and I did have thoughts to keep it as a backup camera when I get the K5...you have just helped me decide to keep it. Have a great week everyone.

06-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Well mate, we could certainly arrange for shoots together in the local area if you're interested and have the time... so much around to shoot.

I think keeping the K100D is a great idea - it won't sell for much, but it will do a great job in not too challenging conditions for photos that only need to be printed to A4 size.
06-06-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter

A very warm welcome to another Aussie. We are forming quite a team here.

We look forward to seeing some of your shots. Just be a part of the Forums, and enjoy.
There is no pressure to meet standards or even to post photos. Just enjoy the benefits the Forums offer. I see us as a big Pentax family.
06-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi again everyone, I havent posted any photos yet, but I will.
Ash, it sounds like a plan ( meet and shoot), I am waiting for news back from a group I volunteer for ( photographing war graves), I know there are quite a few in Toowoomba I have to do, so when I receive word of who/where, I could let you know. I am still pretty much an amateur with my photography, but I do suprise myself sometimes with "that " lucky shot. So far I have only shot in Jpeg...and Im entertaining the idea of crossing over to RAW..have heard much about it, dont really understand it, but want to give it a try.
Till next time, stay safe everyone and have a great week.
Cheers,
Charmaine
06-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

G'day and welcome on board from Sydney.

06-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian

G'day Charmaine, cooee from Melbourne. We Aussies seem to be taking over Pentax forums (bloody good thing too...)

You will marvel at the K-5 when you finally get your hands on it, especially if you are shooting subjects which can take advantage of it's high Dynamic range and stunning low noise sensor. You say you shoot in rainforests, so the ability to 'shoot in the dark' will be a great benefit.

Cheers
Wayne
06-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hi Selar and Wayne,
Great to be able to chat to so many aussies! I was a member of another forum and I was absolutely crucified for stating I do not use photoshop. Ive been aprehensive about joining another forum since. Not that I have anything against photoshop, but personally, I dont have a use for it.
Funny you say the K-5 has the ability to shoot in the dark Wayne ( which I will love), because awhile ago I went to OReilly's Rainforest and got what I thought was the perfect photo( well, for me anyway), however when I went to blow it up, it was too dark. Broke my heart it did...
06-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CHardy Quote
Hi Selar and Wayne,
Great to be able to chat to so many aussies! I was a member of another forum and I was absolutely crucified for stating I do not use photoshop. Ive been aprehensive about joining another forum since. Not that I have anything against photoshop, but personally, I dont have a use for it.
Funny you say the K-5 has the ability to shoot in the dark Wayne ( which I will love), because awhile ago I went to OReilly's Rainforest and got what I thought was the perfect photo( well, for me anyway), however when I went to blow it up, it was too dark. Broke my heart it did...
Prepare to be amazed! 14 stops of DR is HUGE. The lack of ugly noise of the High ISO is just astounding.

Take a peek here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/73997-da*-club-28.html at the Da* club, I just posted an image I took on the weekend in the near dark at ISO 51,200, no noise correction, straight out of Camera.
06-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I dont think many people use Photoshop here, its mostly lightroom, aperture, gimp, acdsee etc. Being Pentaxians, we are not conformists by nature (if we were, we would be CaNikoners!).
09-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #13

Original Poster
OK, time for a silly question from me....how do you all add those "Pentax K5 proud owner" strips to your posts? I have received my K5, but havent had the opportunity to use it much yet...I shot a 1st birthday party last weekend, but left it on auto as it was just too frantic to be changing settings every few minutes ( you know how little ones are ) I hope I have the guts to discover RAW in the next couple of weeks too.
Have a great week everyone!
09-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Charmaine, and welcome to the forum. If I am not mistaking, you can go to "My profile / Edit signature" Then you should be able to add text or an image from the web or your computer, to your signature (or both).
K5 is on my wish list (got K20 for now).
09-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thankyou for that I thought my K100d was perfect...until I used my K5 last weekend....lol...I suspect the K100d wont be coming out of the bag much anymore.....