Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
time to stop lurking and say.....

!!! HI !!!

mmm.. ok ... not big on self promotion, er...

I've been taking pictures since I was a little kid. Nothing stunning, just snapshots on 126 and 110 film (Remember those?? )

Got the bug back when my 1st daughter was about to be born and bought a new 35mm AF P&S Samsung Zoom, which was a pretty good camera for my budget back in the day. That camera lasted me 9 or 10 years, when the shutter began to not trip if you zoomed out.

That led to my 1st digital back in 2000, a FujiFilm Finepix 2400 Zoom. That poor camera led a pretty abused life. It was sat on in it's 1st 4 months (Christmas morning no less! ), breaking one of the lens slides, but still worked and took good pics. Survived falling from my coat pocket several times to asphalt and concrete. It went EVERYWHERE, in ALL weather with me until finally one day the lens simply wouldn't move anymore (the 2nd of 3 lens mounts/rails failed).

My replacement became the Panasonic FZ20. Put a Pemerall adapter on this one right away... just incase I sat on it . Quite a few photos have been taken with this one, and I've been pretty impressed with it as long as you never go beyond ISO200. I've continued my tradition of "abuse" with this one, using in pretty much any weather, hiking, etc... it gets bumped and banged around, but continues on like a trooper.

Lately tho, I'd been trying to do more action and low-light that simply pushed the FZ beyond it's limits, so it's been inherited by my 7yr old daughter who's more than a little thrilled about getting it!

So, break out the credit card! And pre-ordered the K10D!
o'boy,o'boy,o'boy,o'boy,o'boy,o'boy,o'boy,o'boy!

Needless to say, I'm enjoying the capabilities of this camera. So much to learn, techincally and compositionally. Thank goodness this one's weather-proof

Looking forward to learning from the rest of you folks, and hope I can contribute myself as time goes on.

Regards,
Rich Little (aka Getmoresoon)

12-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Phew, and I thought I was a little rough on cameras! All I've done is bang an Oly stylus on rocks... twice. Still works, but has a tendency to turn off if you so much as breath on the lens cover/power switch. I treat my DL (and now K100) with a little more care that the Oly, though.

Welcome to the forum, you'll get plenty of friendly help here as you learn to use your new toy.

Julie
12-14-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Julie!

A friend of mine witha common photo interest is always dismayed by my treatment of my cameras (of course, if there's even a hint of dampness in the air, he'll put his camera away).

It's not that I've the money to throw away (quite the opposite actually. Gonna take me a year or more to pay for the K10), but I don't believe in missing an opportunity just to avoid losing the "new camera smell" on my gear.

Regards,
Rich L.
12-14-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just noticed you're in New Brunswick! I live near Sackville... well, part of the time. The rest of the time I'm in Halifax, at Dal.

I completely agree about not coddling your equipment - you can't get the shots without taking the camera out of the bag! My DL came with me on hikes all over the place, from the Cobequid hills to a windy Atlantic headland. I avoided lens changes near blowing salt spray and sand, but I still took pictures! The K100 will get the same treatment.

A friend of my husband's once called him up and asked him to come over. The friend had just got a brand new guitar. He wanted a witness. He took it out of its case, went to the top of the stairs, laid it on its back, and let go. It slid down the stairs, getting quite a few scratches in the process - so now he could actually play the thing, and carry it around, without worrying he was going to scratch it!

Note: I do not recommend doing this to a K10D!!!

Good to see a fellow NBer here, maybe I'll actually recognize the locations in some of your photos.

Julie

12-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, fellow canadian!

K10>big investment.... big investment>big fun!

great to hear you picked up a good camera.....enjoy!

cheers

randy