Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #1

long standing pentax fan with a fault

Hi, My name's Adam, I used to use a pair of old Spotmatics about 10 years ago. When digital finaly killed film off I ended up with a Canon EOS300D, not a bad camera but anyway Ive just changed over to ist D. Its nice to have a Pentax again, shame all my old lenses were M42!

Anyway my Dad also has just got a Pentax K r, but it apears to have a problem, so Im hoping someone can give me a some advice on it?

The problem apears to be with the encoder for setting aperture and shutter speed. The encoder doesnt seem to work, it just makes both parameters jump up to the top of their range and get stuck there! so all the camera takes is black, under exposed photos.

Is the camera scrap?

06-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure people will tell you film is not dead. Neither are m42 lenses.

I don't have the answer to your aperture/shutter issue, but if the camera is new, it has a warranty, and is not scrap. Perhaps the ISO is set to a high or low value which makes the settings inaccurate for the scene. Hard to say without more info.

You should post a problem picture with exif intact.
06-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'm sure people will tell you film is not dead. Neither are m42 lenses.

I don't have the answer to your aperture/shutter issue, but if the camera is new, it has a warranty, and is not scrap. Perhaps the ISO is set to a high or low value which makes the settings inaccurate for the scene. Hard to say without more info.

You should post a problem picture with exif intact.
That is good advice and the place to post your question would be the Pentax Beginners corner where it can be guaranteed someone will have an answer to your problem.
06-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll re post.
I supose 35mm isnt dead but as soon as we got a digital camera in the house I couldnt be bothered getting gettings film developed. I was at school and didnt have a lot of money! now digital's just too convenient.

06-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You can use those M42's on the K-r with an adapter. They're not useless. Far from it.