Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #1

Hello

Hello.
I've been a Nikon D3100 owner with a few different lenses for about 7 months now (right after the D3100 came out), and liked it but the camera felt software crippled and the lens prices were just outrageous. The D3100 doesn't fully support much in the way of older lenses, so you're pretty much bound to newer ones. And I've discovered I'm really a prime shooter (for now at least).

So after much consideration I'm selling all my Nikon gear and planning to switch to a K-5 with a 40mm Limited at the end of the week and grab a few cheap manual lenses from a local craigslist. I'm aware there may be a difference in autofocus speed between the two brands, but thats ok - I'm mostly a portrait and astro photog anyway.

But what is giving me pause is the QC issues I'm reading on the forum - it seems like a *significant* number of users are having physical, non-firmware, problems with the camera (shutter issues (which seems unresolved), buttons falling off,...). While I'm aware that there are duds in all electronics, poking around some other brand's boards doesn't suggest quite the same level of QC issues with their latest gen.

Anybody know if these QC issues are representing like <1% or more like 5% or ? It's been killing having my Nikon gear sold off over the course of 2 weeks, I can't imagine being cameraless for a month or two while a K-5 visits a repair facility.

06-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! I cannot speak on personal experiences with the K5 as I do not have one but I can say the number of "errors" with the K5 seem to be on par with most other camera models so I would not worry too much especially if you are under warranty.

You should look at the marketplace here for those cheap manual lenses. There are tons of options. Enjoy!
06-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
I love my K-5 - only 8000 shots so far - no problems, and no issues.