Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hello - a new K-X User

Hi there,

A dslr newbie with a K-X. Tyring to get decent pictures at kids' gymnastic meets. Learning a lot from all the threads about low light, lens reviews, etc. Thank you everyone. Looking forward to learning more!

Mango

06-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome! The Kx can be great for low light. Do not hesitate to go above and beyond ISO 3200, photos will still look very good. You might also want to look into faster lenses than the kit 18-55 (if you don't already have some). Enjoy!
06-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here Mango.
Hope you find the forum useful.
Enjoy your photography and learning more about the vocation.
06-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for the encouragement. I've been thinking about getting DA50-135 but because it's such an expensive lens for a newbie, I'm thinking about renting one first to see if I can handle it. I've read all kinds of reviews on this and other zoom lenses with f/2.8. Based on the pictures I took during the last season with the kit 50-200, I never seem to need anything as long as 200mm. Hope I'm on the right track...The season starts in September and is coming up quickly!

06-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I suggest you practice panning - photos moving the camera in sync with the gymnast may be better than ones taken at high shutter speed freezing the action because there will be a dynamic feel to the photo - our brains somehow know how to interpret motion smear.

Anticipate stopping points like sticking a beam landing or the top of a bar move.

For floor or vault runs & tricks take a photo with the gymnast coming straight at you (or pan).

If you pan on a vault or floor run, be aware that the gymnast's forward motion doesn't change much during the trick. That means track him/her during the run and keep the camera sweeping smoothly at the same speed when you squeeze the button.

Use moving cars or flying birds to practice panning. Or whatever - you understand the concept!

See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/148571-success-panning-cycling.html

Last edited by newarts; 06-19-2011 at 05:48 AM.
06-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mango Quote
Thank you for the encouragement. I've been thinking about getting DA50-135 but because it's such an expensive lens for a newbie, I'm thinking about renting one first to see if I can handle it. I've read all kinds of reviews on this and other zoom lenses with f/2.8. Based on the pictures I took during the last season with the kit 50-200, I never seem to need anything as long as 200mm. Hope I'm on the right track...The season starts in September and is coming up quickly!
A fairly inexpensive, fast lens is the older Pentax 135;2.5 or 135:2.8... of these the Takumar 135:2.5 is best I think. The Takumar-Bayonet 135:2.5 is less highly regarded but still pretty good. Check out KEH.com.

Another option might be the Rokinon 85:1.4 if you can get close enough.

These are all manual focus lenses so you must learn to prefocus & catch-in-focus - that's ok because AF can't usually keep up with gymnastics.