Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #1

Pentax lenses

I'm really getting interested in older pentax lenses.
I got a KX when it came out...that was my first DSLR,
but I keep getting drawn in more and more.

I've been reading these forums for a while, and they really
have been helpful to me.

06-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. If you're into older lenses, then a Pentax is the camera to have (amongst many other reasons). When I bought my K20d back on 2009, I already owned quite a few Pentax lenses from my film days. However, I did buy a DA* 16-50mm when I purchased my camera body, and since then I've purchased a few others.

I'm finding these days that I primarily use 3 lenses on a regular basis and they're always in my bag - the DA*16-50mm f/2.8 (It's just a great lens, not the easiest to use, took me a bit to really understand it but once I'd figured it out, the IQ is wonderful), an FA 100mm Macro f/2.8 (that just has stellar IQ, it's a very easy lens to use, I feel like I can't take a bad picture with it and it's excellent for portraits too), and an FA 35mm f/2 (which is a really fun lens, great IQ and the FOV is similar to a nifty fifty on a film camera, so it's good for the nostalgia factor).

Additionally, I do use pretty often my A 50mm f/2 and my M 50mm that I've had since the early 80's and have hauled all over the world. I've never been disappointed with either of them, though I like the M over the A because the build quality is more rugged.

And then there is... Yep, older Pentax lenses, you can't live without them. It's a good way to start down the LBA path. But if you have to have an addiction, it's not a bad one to have.

Again. Welcome.
06-19-2011, 04:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome!
I have a KX.
For lenses, the two I use the most these days are the FA 50/1.4 and a FA 35/2.
Unfortunately, DA* lenses are out of my budget right now.
I'm just starting to play around with some older, manual focus lenses.
I still need a lot more practice with manual focusing, though.
06-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Those are great lenses. I found manual focusing to be a challenge with my K20d. Having to rely on the blip noise and the red focusing square, and the green hexagon filled me with uncertainty about whether I was getting a clear exposure or not. And you can't tell by looking at the screen, everything looks sharp at 3". My work around was to take multiple shots of the subject if I could, not a great solution but at least I had a better chance of getting a well focused image.

However, recently I decided to bite the bullet and buy a split screen from Katzeye. I spent the bucks have have been really happy with my decision. Not only is shooting with manual focus fun again but shoot with AF is great too. With the DA lenses, you can manually adjust the focus while using the AF, it's great. Haven't had any issue with metering either.

Now I can buy A & M lenses and use them with confidence. I highly recommend the split screen. Of course, I have to say my FA lenses are pretty solid when it comes to AF.

06-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #5

Original Poster
I've been reading the forums about Katzeye. I'm still kind of hesitant...it seems that the KX does not officially support this kind of thing, but that it works anyway, and that there can be other issues (metering can be affected?). Maybe I'll get the courage one day to try this.
06-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

It wasn't officially supported on the K20d either, though there'd been enough years that have passed with people changing out the screen that I was pretty comfortable with doing it and knowing it would screw anything up. Also, I haven't had any metering issues with mine, or at least any that I can tell. I've read that it may affect spot metering but I haven't seen it. With the K20d, it was a breeze to replace an but don't know much about the KX. Ironically, with the old film cameras, even the full auto ones like the PZ1, people changed out focusing screens all the time with no ill effects.