Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Thinking of buying Pentax

Hello: I am new to this forum, but as of now do not own a single Pentax camera. The K-5 has caught my attention and that is why I joined you. I currently use Nikon DSLRs as well as some compact cameras. I am intrigued by the K-5 and the limited series lenses, especially their compact sizes. So I am here to learn.

06-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Why changing system?
06-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don't know that I would change systems, but might use both. I like the small size of the K-5 and the pancake lens offerings from Pentax. Perhaps some experimentation.
06-22-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
k5 plus 35limited macro and 70 mm is a hell of a combo.
If you got the money to invest on 2 systems you can get the best of both.
how serious are you about photography?
(you can assemble something really fine with nikon too...a d7000 and 2 or 3 primes has nothing to envy to a pentax setup).

06-22-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have the D7000 and some lenses. I am serious about photography and make some money at it on the side. But at my age, nearing retirement, it is about pleasure, experimentation, just enjoyment. The aesthetics of the Pentax system is pleasing to me, especially the silver. Sounds frivolous doesn't it. But aesthetics is partly what photography is about.
06-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wray Quote
Sounds frivolous doesn't it.
Hey each one his own litle pleasures

If it's about experimentation...since k5 and d7000 are the same sensor..i would chose to try a nikon full frame body (oh how i crave those real Wide angle, although my sigma 8-16 has partly apeased that need)...If not i would go down the lighting road and get me studio strobes, for the price of the k5 body and a pair of lenses you can buy a sweet sweet elinchrom or bowens studio setup (fotography is killing me ). Or maybe invest in some sb 800, or 900 and modifyers (but if you are making money out of it you probably already got lighting gear...).
Or finally, on the real mad side, if i had the money i would go the medium format lane! i can picture the looks on the people when you take out of the bag the 645D or a hassy and digital back (better looking than any silver body/lens combination...if you really want something shiny the silver hassy look is great, or for more bling the golden look goes unmatched).

As you can see i don't really see why you would want to get , kind of, the same body on another brand...maybe if you are determined to do so you could wait and see what pentax gets on the market next (although i doubt it'll blow away what has been achived with k5/d7000).
06-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #7

Many arent content with the HD video features of the k-5 as they aren't optimal for videography (so they say) with the inability to control things like ISO.

But with that said, I love my k-5 and dont regret it Call it a peeve but I delight being a minority and non mainstream. Though the nikon d7000 is a absolute wonder in its own. I like the fact that the premium glasses on the pentax look classier and sleeker. and they cost only a hand, and not an arm. The pentax crowd is picking up and i'd expect a more vibrant second hand market in the near future as well.
06-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kneonx Quote
I delight being a minority and non mainstream

I identify with this statement. I hope Pentax continues to make its presence felt with new and better lenses and cameras.