Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Proud Pentax owner!

Hello, All:

As a retired advertising art director, my affinity for Pentax began with two Spotmatic bodies in the late 60's. They were my introduction to learning the art & craft of photography by controlling the functions of shutter speed and aperature manually. I worked with a number of pros in Chicago studios who used the venerable Nikon 'F' systems and Hasselblads, plus the view cameras for large-format work. I asked questions to the point of being bothersome, but, because I was genuinely interested (and their client), they freely passed their knowlege on to me.

In the mid 70's, one of my employers offices (there were 5) had a Hasselblad with a couple of lenses that was not being used. I asked that it be transferred to the home office where I put it use shooting jobs that were within my capabilities and where the budget would not allow the day rates of the real pros. What a system! And what a learning experience.

My last film camera was a Contax 139 Quartz with Tokina lenses. It was sold on eBay to a photography student in Ohio whose college instructor stipulated: "35mm-film-manual controls". She was thrilled to find this camera, which I practically gave away.

I came back to Pentax with the purchase of the K-10D. I chose it because of the weather sealing and it's ruggedness. Yes, it is heavy and it's image quality suffers in low-light conditions, but I love it's intuitive menu. I chose Sigma lenses for it and have been quite happy with the system. That is until I ordered the K-5...Wow! 16.3 mega pixels coupled with the Pentax DA 200 fixed-focus lens is a major leap in image detail. And noise does not become a factor until the ISO gets well beyond what I had to accept with the K-10. Finally, there's a Pentax that's rated up there with the big guns and it's receiving accolades from those who used to consider Pentax an "enthusiasts" camera. I'm keeping the K-10 because I love it and it provides an excellent backup.

And now, to find this world-wide group of Pentax users to share experiences with...that's icing on the cake. Count me happy to be among you!

Gary

06-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you.
06-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice intro thread. Welcome aboard.
06-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well I'm sure your full of stories and experiences. And a lovely state to shoot in. Welcome to a great group of guys and dolls (oops! gals).