Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

Hi from Oklahoma

Just bought a pentax k-r with the 18-55mm and 55-300mm kit lenses. I have had it maybe 3 weeks and have enjoyed playing with it. Still MUCH to learn but already getting waaay better shots than I did with any of my point and shoots.

I have been wanting to move up to a dslr for years but the cost was prohibitive. I finally bit the bullet becasue I was tired of missing out on pictures of my kids. My kids play soccer, dance, play gold, do kusical theatre, etc. It was just too hard to get shots at awards ceremonies and any indoor activities becasue of the lighting. Then with outdoor sports, I needed to be on the field to get close enough. This is so much better even on auto.

I had a friend help me with manual settings for my daughter's theatre production and got some really good pictures. I need to learn more about iso settings and flash settings, etc. but already pleased. I took my camera to washington DC and got some good pictures there, too. I'm still not sure how to get good pics under hazy conditions but they aren't too bad...still better than what the kids got on their pocket cameras.

So, I have much to learn. Looking for a class or something that might make it easier. Having a blast just taking lots of pics...driving my family nuts!

06-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, just a word of warning.............. Digital Photography can become very addictive and there is no known cure!
06-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
My husband was threatening to take it away on vacation. lol So easy to use....just hate carrying it all around. I need one lens that does everything.
06-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am in Oklahoma as well and pretty new to the forum. Welcome to the forum and with world of DSLR's. I have been shooting Pentax cameras for the last 20 years. I just yesterday stepped up from my first DSLR (idstDs) to a K-5. Really love where Pentax has gone with this generation of Slr's. You have found a tremendous source of information on not only your camera, but photography as a whole.

Anyway welcome!
David.