Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

New member-long time Pentaxian

I'm a new member to this website and I'm very impressed with the wealth of subjects and information on Pentax equipment.

I've live in Western Canada on the prairies. I've resided in two of the prairie provinces...Manitoba and Alberta.

As far as cameras go...I first bought a Pentax S1A back in '68 when I worked for a publishing company. The publisher told me I needed to get an SLR camera, capable of taking pictures that would be of magazine quality .

I spoke to the head of the photography dept. , at the publishing company and he recommended I get a Pentax, or a Nikon SLR.

Being on a budget I checked prices and the Pentax was 30 bucks cheaper than the Nikon.

As a result, I bought a Pentax S1a which had no light meter, 1/500 of a second top shutter speed. I also bought a separate Sekonic light meter...both of which I still own and still work. Pretty good for almost 40 years.

I also have a black body Pentax ES11 (electronic spotmatic) still works, my wife's K1000..great camera.

I have a 135 (3.5) mm M42, Takumar 28mm bayonet, W/A Takumar, 50 mm Takumar bayonet, Macro, 35-105 (3.5) Pentax A, macro zoom (favourite lens).

As far as digital goes, I had a Lumix DMC8 point and shoot, but disliked all the automatic controls..very little manual ability.

Two weeks ago I got a Pentax K10D body. I'm using my old 35-105 A , on it and although I'm still figuring out all the features... I love the K10D.

Hoping that maybe during Xmas I will be the beneficiary of a new Pentax 16-45 Zoom. Hope it's , optically, as good as my 25 year old 35-105.

Also looking at getting an FJ- A (?) Pentax 70-300 mm zoom for wildlife and bird photography. Is this a good choice ?

Also thinking of a Pentax 360 flash. I've got a Vivitar 285 HV flash and although I find it a fantastic flash, extremely powerful, etc. I have been told it has far too much voltage for a DSLR. So I won't use it on my K10D.

I appreciate all advice as although I have been a film photographer for many years...the digital world is very new to me.

Thanks, Les

11-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Forum, Les. Nice to meet you.
11-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #3

Welcome! Loved your bio.
11-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome. One more thing I would like to add...is that I think one of the reasons I stayed with Pentax after all these years was the fact that when you use them, rely on them are always satisfied with them for almost 40 years....why go to anything else.

Although twice...once just before I bought the ES 11 in '74 and now...I thought about going to Nikon or Canon. In '74 I didn't have a lot invested in Pentax equipment and almost bought a Nikon F Photomic rather than the ES 11. But didn't.

In 2007 I almost bought a Nikon D80 or Canon 30D...as I figured with digital...maybe this is the time to try something different. But when the K10D came out and I tried all three...the K10D felt best for me. And the features and ruggedness (although the 30D is very good) of the K10D made me want to continue with Pentax.

I also wanted to continue using my 35-105 macro Zoom Pentax A lens. Great lens even though it is 25 years old.

11-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard Mike, Nice intro. I can't help with your questions but I'm sure others will have their opinion.

Looking forward to seeing your wildlife shots.