Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #1

Greetings from Southeast MI

Hi, my name is Jesse. I have been interested, as well as dabbling in, amateur photography for years. I've had numerous DSLRs, acquiring them much after their release so I can get them for cheap. This includes Canon rebel(original), Canon D10, Canon D30, Nikon D1h, Pentax K110d, Fuji S1 Pro, Olympus E-420, and a bunch of pro-sumer models as well. When technology hits a bottom price due to so-called obsoletion, thats when I get to enjoy it.

Right now my current set up includes:
  • Used k100d Super I picked up for $20 shipped with broken AF. Everything else works fine, just no possibility of Auto-Focus or even confirmation. I don't see this as a downside, just an interesting quirk - well worth the money saved. A forced manual DSLR.
  • Recently acquired Pentax-A 50mm f1.7. This lens has replaced my Pentax-F 50mm f2, sick of metering with AE-L button. Perfect lens for my camera, at least for the money. Better then the much cheaper f2 version, not astronomically priced (at least to my economic state) like the f1.4 or f1.2.
  • Sears k-mount 28mm f2.8 + cheap wide-angle adapter. Pretty poor results, but how else can you get wide for under $20.
  • Helios 44m 50mm f2 m42. Odd little fifty, got it for under $10.
  • Focal 135mm f2.8 m42. Haven't had much time with this yet.
  • Sony S50 2.1mp P/S + cheap wide angle adapter. Great battery life, great snapshots, articulating display - just a cool little chubby vintage digital.
I've spent less than $100 on my gear, and it suits my personal use quite nicely. I don't make money with any of this stuff, obviously, but it is fun.

I'm not big into post processing at this time. Just basics (resize, crop, levels) with irfanview.

Alot of my interest lies in the mechanics and fundamentals of photographic technology - Film or Digital. Capabilities of the cameras themselves (body, sensor), and the complexity and arrangement of lenses.

I am a firm believer of they saying "it's not the camera, its the photographer". You can take amazing pictures, capture non-reproducible moments, as well as emotion, with the cheapest of equipment - in my opinion. The only necessities are the availability of control, and even that is not constant.

I guess that's all for now, looking forward to being and active member of this community.

07-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A man with a plan. I like that. Welcome to the forum.

Tim
07-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, fellow Michigander...............
Dave
07-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. I won't call you backwards, but....