Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #1

Ex-Sony Alpha user, new to Pentax K-r

Hi everyone,

Just a quick hello from this forum newbie, but experienced DSLR user, living in North Norfolk, UK.

I've just bought a new K-r and two lenses (18-55 DAL + 55-300 DA)
I've previously been a Sony Alpha user for the last few years.
I've mostly changed systems for the better-rated ISO performance and more natural compatibility for my M42 manual lenses. (lens adaptor (flush-type) now on its way from 'fleabay')

So, I've not done very much with the K-r so far, mostly reading the manual and doing a few shots. The few initial test shots look promising, but maybe not quite as good as I'd hoped. A little bit soft and lacking crisp detail, especially with the 55-300 at the longer end.

I need to do a few more tripod shots in a more controlled way to find the optimum settings (ISO quality limits, aperture 'sweet spots' - especially for the longer-end of the telezoom, plus the variables in settings for contrast, sharpness, noise reduction, etc and also checking the front/back focusing against LV)
Should keep me busy for a while!

If anybody has any setup tips for optimum image quality and performance on the K-r, or known 'sweet-spot' f-stops on the 18-55, or 55-300, I'd be really grateful to have a benchmark to work off.

Thanks all,

Rod

07-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't really say much specific about the K-R, but I can offer some general advice. Pentax doesn't build in a lot of noise reduction or sharpening by default, and the default rendering of the Pentax raw files can seem a little flat to those new to the system. Still, one should always shoot raw when the best quality is desired. You *will* need to apply some sharpening - this is a simple fact related to the sensor design. Some manufacturers apply sharpening in-camera (and noise reduction); Pentax chooses a more hands-off stance, letting YOU choose how the image will be handled. I use Lightroom.

I recommend a simple test of the 55-300. Mine seemed soft at 300mm when I got it - and all the 3x-5x zooms that go to 300 (the 70-300, the 80-320, the sigma 70-300, the tammy 70-300) suffer at the long end, but the 55-300 is the best of the group. I did some outdoor shots and was not impressed. Then I did a shot in my living room, twenty feet or so, with a flash, lens wide open, and it became quite obvious that much of my softness was motion blur. Since then I've had a chance to shoot it on a bright day @ISO 400 at 1/2000, and it's very crisp. I wouldn't call it "sharp", but it's certainly acceptable up to about 8x10 print size. Stop it down one stop, though, and it is pretty sharp. Not 50-135 sharp, nor 60-250 sharp, but it's pointless to compare a $300 consumer zoom with a $1k+ enthusiast/pro zoom.
07-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
jstevewhite,

Thanks for the helpful notes regarding the 55-300 lens' performance.

I'll certainly try a few different shutter speeds and stops on my next tripod test.
Hopefully I'll find the best from this quite highly regarded lens.

The note about sharpening is duly noted. I'll try a few back-to-back variations of how much to apply.

Regards,

Rod