Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #1

Northern Ontario Canada

hello,

new member here, but have been reading posts for a few years now.

my first pentax experience came when i was younger using my dad's K1000, which i have now, but haven't used since he gave it to me.

i currently have a K20D and have had plenty of fun with it, until i recently wiped on my mountain bike, and managed to shatter the view finder. even though i broke a tooth, i'm more disappointed in the shattered viewfinder (the dentist had to remove black plastic that was caught between my teeth).

i have a few lenses too, but i'm feeling kind of lazy to get them and label them all, some are older that i got with the K1000, but i'd have to say my favorite one so far is the Pentax 55-300 mm DA (my second one, after the first one fell off my desk).

i have some lower res pics posted at Pictures by greentreee - Photobucket

i'm currently debating in either getting a used K20D or a new K-7 body, since it looks like the cost of fixing the broken viewfinder will cost around the same.

anyways, that's my intro.

take it easy.

07-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and thank you for the comprehensive introduction. Why not save a few more pennies and get the K-5 instead of the K-7?
07-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha ha eaglem... that's the trouble with this place.. whenever you suggest you might want to spend money... someone tells you how to spend more money. Welcome greentree. I used to live in Timmins... but "northern Ontario" is a big place. I'll play the odds and assume you live in Thunderbay.. is there anywhere else in Northern Ontario you can even buy a Pentax.. and even Thunderbay might be a stretch.
07-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ha ha eaglem... that's the trouble with this place.. whenever you suggest you might want to spend money... someone tells you how to spend more money. Welcome greentree. I used to live in Timmins... but "northern Ontario" is a big place. I'll play the odds and assume you live in Thunderbay.. is there anywhere else in Northern Ontario you can even buy a Pentax.. and even Thunderbay might be a stretch.
Hey Greentree!

Northern Ontario ... big place indeed!

I used to live in Hearst, for four years, quite a while back.

Welcome aboard!

JP

07-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Welcome to the forum and thank you for the comprehensive introduction. Why not save a few more pennies and get the K-5 instead of the K-7?
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hey Greentree!

Northern Ontario ... big place indeed!

I used to live in Hearst, for four years, quite a while back.

Welcome aboard!

JP
well, thanks for the replies. seeing as i was a bit vague in my location, i'm near sault ste. marie, i do believe there are 2 pentax dealers here. not sure about what they sell since most of my shopping is done online, and using the bank of the parents to pre pay for most things as i pay them back in time while on my limited disability income.

i did look at the K-5, but realized that the increase in cost will result in me taking a longer time in acquiring a much desired 10-17mm pentax fish eye. plus if it hadn't been for the accident on my bike, i would have already have purchased the lens.

my k20d still works fine, i just cant see much out of the viewfinder and i'm completely dependent on the AF, which is alright for taking pics of my puppy as he grows.

anyways, thanks for the greetings.

take it easy.
07-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
just a minor update.

i did end up getting a K5 today, it's on order. after reviewing the specs, it made more sense and fortunately i found it cheaper in canada (i was planning on getting it from bh. but after taxes and duty it was cheaper to get it in canada but i didn't take into account the currency exchange however) even though i was hoping to get it in at bh in order to get a "paid membership" here, it was still a bit cheaper.

can hardly wait to try it out.

i also noticed something moving inside the k20d when i put in the memory card this morning, so it wasn't just the viewfinder that got damaged, but in time, after i get a fish eye lens and a printer, will i look into getting the view finder fixed, maybe.

take care.
07-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by greentreee Quote
just a minor update.

i did end up getting a K5 today, it's on order. after reviewing the specs, it made more sense and fortunately i found it cheaper in canada (i was planning on getting it from bh. but after taxes and duty it was cheaper to get it in canada but i didn't take into account the currency exchange however) even though i was hoping to get it in at bh in order to get a "paid membership" here, it was still a bit cheaper.

can hardly wait to try it out.

i also noticed something moving inside the k20d when i put in the memory card this morning, so it wasn't just the viewfinder that got damaged, but in time, after i get a fish eye lens and a printer, will i look into getting the view finder fixed, maybe.

take care.
Good for you (better to have bought from a canadian dealer in any case so you have a warranty that doesn't require shipping it to the US)
Welcome to the forum

07-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, greentreee. I bet you'll love the K-5. Nice reflection shots!