Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Newbie with new gear

Servus!

I am Theo, a Dutchman living in the mid of Germany.
I own a Z-1p with some fine/prime glass but haven't used it for some years now. In the mean time I used a digital point-and-shoot till it started to disappoint. Recently I bought a K5, with the kit lens as I lack a wide-angle lens for APS-C and the kit lens is said to be decent at its short end.

I must say, the comparison with the K5 is a mixed bag. Technologically the K5 impresses but the handling is so-so for me and it has some quirks.
With the battery grip, the K5 is bulkier than the Z-1p with strap/grip and still not suited to my hands (glove size 12-13). Also, the myriad of buttons are in the way because I cannot put my fingers where they were designed to be put. Carrying a 1000 Euro body in your hands, it is difficult to stay convinced of the build quality if you feel the clunk-mechanism at every step.

The first serious outing with the K5, after assuring it does not suffer from a stained-sensor, was to an international festival in the region. The weather was grey and wet, but the setting is very special and the visitors are often as colourful as the performers. I must say I was not impressed by the performance of the auto-focus under low-light conditions. At home, LVs around 3 and lower caused troubles, in the church I missed quite a few shots at LV around 5. If I calculated correctly: 1/80 at F2.8 is EV 9.3 which equates to LV 5.3 at ISO1600. Admittedly, the circumstances are bad, the performer, here standing, was in an orange spotlight against a rather well-lit background. When seated, only his head (in that orange glow) stuck out above the crowd, forming a low contrast target and most of the shots I did not manage to direct the auto-focus on him.

I noticed an issue with my Tamron 90F2.8 SP, probably in the contacts, although I cleansed them twice. It tended to arbitrarily auto-focus without any button being pressed under low-light conditions. It also focusses worse than the kit lens under identical conditions. I don't know whether that is related to the EXIF data, where this lens is first mentioned as K or M lens and somewhat further on it is correctly identified as the Tamron SP. And my old Metz flash, 40 MZ3i with SCA3701 M2-adapter, works only properly on Auto. No complaints yet, but it seems to be impossible to do any exposure compensation. It refuses to accept any manual changes in diaphragma or ISO and sticks to the values reported by the K5.

I hope to have a bit more positive news next mail. If the K5 is the great camera everybody here says it is that cannot be difficult :-)

Data
Duo kit lens 55 mm F9/250 ISO200
Troll 90F2.8 SP, F3.2/250 ISO200
Audience kit lens 50 mm F10/250 ISO200
Church 90F2.8 SP, F2.8/80 ISO1600

Attached Images

07-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and thank you for that comprehensive introduction. love the shots as well being as colourful as they are.