Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #1

Greetings from Cambodia

Hi There!

I have been a member here for a while now but never got around to writing any messages.

I'll do my introduction now, then and follow up with a sad message I am Dane, but this greeting is written in Cambodia, where I have been visiting for a couple of weeks. Before that, I travelled around Laos and Thailand ... on a bicycle and armed with my K7 and a couple of primes. It has been great! Right until I had my gear stolen from the room in my guesthouse, Key Royal Angkor Guesthouse, in Siem Reap. So no! I do not have one picture of any of the temples ... The temples are amazing, Siem Reap is still a seedy place and Key Royal Angkor Guesthouse there is not recommended (I was not the only being robbed. It happened again a few days later!) The guesthouse staff even tried to frame me as the culprit, so I spent one day being questioned by police. I like to think of this as my "Khmer Rouge experience"

I suspect the thief have already sold my camera or will try to do so. So for reference: Pentax K7 with serial number 3428965 and possibly an FA 43mm ltd mounted is stolen goods.

But... It's a long story. I really want to tell it all, but that will have to be at a later time.

So that's it. I am no longer the owner of a Pentax camera. Now, I think i will see what the Ricoh take over will mean (I am positive) unless I stumble across a good offer on a K5. I have been looking for a Pentax body, but they are not available in Cambodia.

07-14-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi & welcome to the forum. Itīs a shame about your gear being stolen along with all your photos. Do you have insurance to claim on?

I was in Siem Reap a month ago (different hotel) & it was fantastic, very friendly and no sign of any crime. I kept my camera on me at all times though, as I always do when on holiday.
07-14-2011, 04:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
Fortunately, I had all my pictures transferred to my laptop. And btw. the guy actually took out the card and left it behind! Maybe he thought I would just make an insurance claim and leave it at that? As for insurance, I will find out for sure when I am back - I don't have anything specific for cameras or valuable electronics so I don't know how I stand.

The streets of Siem Reap are much safer now as they are patrolled by police. I think quite a few people make a living stealing from hotels and guesthouses.
07-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. Sorry for your loss - I hope you're covered - I checked my insurance to make sure I am.
As for Cambodia - we loved it there. I can recommend a trip down to Kep.