Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #1

Greetings.

Hi, I'm barnacle. I've used Pentax for aeons, starting with an ME Super, MXs LXs and finally going Digital, now using K5. Impetus to joim was trying to find out how many others had failed DA 16-50s, as mine now lost its autofocus for the second time. When it works it's a fine lens, but with repair costing over 200 a time it's also proving mega-expensive!

07-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #2

Interesting, I have a DA16-50 that "lost its autofocus" with a K-x. However, I put it on my K-5 and it is a beautiful lens. I can't figure it out, but of course, that is for another Forum.
07-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here , and good choice in the K-5.Sorry to hear of your SDM experiences. Unfortunately the woes aren't a new phenomenon and failures have been reported quite commonly. Nevertheless Pentax Limiteds are always a good investmentzm and the 16-50 can be replaced by third party zooms if you don't need weather sealing.
07-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Ash, weatherproofing is important, there seem to be a lot of reports of SDM failure. After spending so much on the last repair, I'm dubious about paying again only to have it fail later.

07-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Totally understandable - unfortunately with Pentax there is no choice for other lenses that are weather sealed. Another repair, or manual focusing are the only options in your case.
07-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, Ash...I'll bite the bullet as otherwise it's a cracking lens.