Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello Leaving Nikon System

Hi, I'm a photographer-artist in southern Cal. i have finally gave up (almost) on film, and am about to migrate to DSLR...
Since I'm leaving my F-4 and N90s bodys for Digital. aside from the cost of new system. K-5 seems to make since after reading all reviews and this forum... Getting my film and processing has just become too much of a hassle the last year.... I only use 6 lenses total so it will not be much to sell the nikon and change Systems i figure... and as far as metering goes I get great shot's on a 1999-2000 era meter now so i figure the newer Pentax should do just fine..
Glad to be here

07-17-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Darker Side!
07-18-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

You'll make a lot of my Nikon-bearing friends scratch their heads in wonderment, but they do acknowledge my Pentax gear as being nearly as good as theirs!

Seriously, it's an interesting decision you've made, but the amount of good new and legacy Pentax glass around should satisfy any experienced new user of them. We'll look forward to your contributions.
07-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
have you'r Nikon friends read this

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

You'll make a lot of my Nikon-bearing friends scratch their heads in wonderment, but they do acknowledge my Pentax gear as being nearly as good as theirs!

Seriously, it's an interesting decision you've made, but the amount of good new and legacy Pentax glass around should satisfy any experienced new user of them. We'll look forward to your contributions.

ROTFL…

I am not a Brand Fan-Boy I'm a professional... in other words this is one of my income sources.. I use what seems to make logical and financial sense at the time… only wanna-be Pro’s look down on certain brands or those with them. The art is small part equipment… most part what the artist does with it…
K-5 was a no brainer decision as long as I was only searching the best system for dollar and not supposed bragging rights…. According to all the review sites I hit and the pics and comparisons I saw It can blow away film…(where I’m coming from) and for it’s price it actually does not compete with the D7000 but the Nikon D-3 hmmmm better build, better quality, lesser price.. no- brainer…

Last edited by crunch01; 07-18-2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: spelling
07-18-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crunch01 Quote
ROTFL…

I am not a Brand Fan-Boy I'm a professional... in other words this is one of my income sources.. I use what seems to make logical and financial sense at the time… only wanna-be Pro’s look down on certain brands or those with them. The art is small part equipment… most part what the artist does with it…
K-5 was a no brainer decision as long as I was only searching the best system for dollar and not supposed bragging rights…. According to all the review sites I hit and the pics and comparisons I saw It can blow away film…(where I’m coming from) and for it’s price it actually does not compete with the D7000 but the Nikon D-3 hmmmm better build, better quality, lesser price.. no- brainer…
Interesting, but I'd wonder about lenses. IOW. wouldn't your save additional costs porting those over to a Nikon DSLR?

I guess it really comes down to what you feel is worth starting on a new mount with, though you didn't really mention why you felt a Pentax was better for you either.
07-18-2011, 01:39 AM   #6
Forum Member

See I al ways thought nikon film lens weren't capable with the dslr of today. Which would mean he really would save. But naybe I thought wrong.
07-18-2011, 01:46 AM   #7

Original Poster
nikon to Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Interesting, but I'd wonder about lenses. IOW. wouldn't your save additional costs porting those over to a Nikon DSLR?

I guess it really comes down to what you feel is worth starting on a new mount with, though you didn't really mention why you felt a Pentax was better for you either.
i only need and use max 6 lenses for what i do.. and i have gotten many years service from that investment...
i make a fairly decent income....
my 2 manual Zeiss lenses can be made to work on Pentax
that leaved only 4 to buy 2 primes 2 zooms...
I will have under 7,000 invested in new system..
To compete with staying with Nikon I would be investing at least 8,000 or better any way.... i would need 2 new Nikkor lenses for the new metering tech from my older film camera's.. the older lenses will work on the newer camera's but wouls have the same older metering type.. to gain full advantage of newer meter's needs newer lenses.... Also I do not like the supper large bodys.. uncomfortable for me to shoot fast pinups hand held in studio.... sooo for me it seem's i can beat Nikon or cannon quality for this size camera for same of less investment.... If i lose mony on lenses i have used for 15-20 years and they cost me 5,000.00 then i still got my money out of that investment a long time ago.
I hit all the forums and review site's compared noise at all ISO's and color rendition and i feel K-5 blows away the Cannon and Nikon camera's in the top price range....
I'll sum it up the K-5 IS Pentaxes HIGH end SLR equivalent.. It has the Image quality to back that statement up.... If any one askes me about my Pentax when i am out of studio or on my image data... 1 they are propobly NOT a pro.... 2 I'll show them the Photos.. lol if it will show a small peach fuzz blond hair on a full body shot when blown up it win's and when i tested it in the store it did.. besides if the shot is a glamor shot it is soft focused so as not to show that detail.

besides I am just old enough to remenber when Pentax was amung the top 3 brands.

Last edited by crunch01; 07-18-2011 at 02:21 AM.
07-18-2011, 03:08 AM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here crunch. Good having another pro on board the forums.
Enjoy the K-5 - it's a great performing dSLR.
Coupled with Zeiss... hmmm would be interesting to see the results.
07-18-2011, 04:24 AM   #9
Forum Member

i also came from Nikon camp, and enjoy my k-5

but f4 is such a baby too
07-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by masloff Quote
i also came from Nikon camp, and enjoy my k-5

but f4 is such a baby too
i will keep my F-4 and N90s with prime 60's for nostalgia sake just selling other lenses
07-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I will have under 7,000 invested in new system..
To compete with staying with Nikon I would be investing at least 8,000 or better any way.... i would need 2 new Nikkor lenses for the new metering tech from my older film camera's.. the older lenses will work on the newer camera's but wouls have the same older metering type.. to gain full advantage of newer meter's needs newer lenses....
Doesn't the D7000 have a special module to work with older lenses?
I'm really not sure what it was called but I was told it was new and unique to that effect(might be worth checking out).

QuoteQuote:
Also I do not like the supper large bodys.. uncomfortable for me to shoot fast pinups hand held in studio.... sooo for me it seem's i can beat Nikon or cannon quality for this size camera for same of less investment.... If i lose mony on lenses i have used for 15-20 years and they cost me 5,000.00 then i still got my money out of that investment a long time ago.
Off the top, I believe the D7000 is approximately the same size and weight as the K-5.

QuoteQuote:
I hit all the forums and review site's compared noise at all ISO's and color rendition and i feel K-5 blows away the Cannon and Nikon camera's in the top price range....
I'll sum it up the K-5 IS Pentaxes HIGH end SLR equivalent.. It has the Image quality to back that statement up.... If any one askes me about my Pentax when i am out of studio or on my image data... 1 they are propobly NOT a pro.... 2 I'll show them the Photos.. lol if it will show a small peach fuzz blond hair on a full body shot when blown up it win's and when i tested it in the store it did.. besides if the shot is a glamor shot it is soft focused so as not to show that detail.
Sounds good. And I think much of this comes down to whether you shoot RAW or JPG. Though just so you know, the D7000 has the exact same sensor as the K-5. Except for one slight difference, it has a slightly weaker AA filter which I believe falls in the give-and-take category. And that's where it produces slightly more microcontrast out of camera at the expense of added moire. Which isn't quite in line with some of the worst camera's out there, but I thought it was worth mentioning just the same.

However on the flip side, the D7000 does hold an advantage over the K-5 in the high ISO department. And that is where it does not add low level NR at higher ISO(ISO2200-51200). Which may or many not affect you depending on what high ISO bracket you shoot at, However, it does present a notable difference between both systems, which ironically translates to the D7K seems producing better ISO6400 images than the K-5. Which I myself find rather odd given that Pentax would have benefited from holding off NR until AFTER ISO6400, but... it is what it is. Either way, the K-5 picks-up past this point by producing consistently better high ISO output beyond this point. Anyways, I'm not trying to confuse you with this and so I'll just leave it at: Advantage D7K up-to ISO6400 and then K-5 beyond that.

Having said all that, at the risk of sounding as though I'm trying to discourage you from investing in a Pentax body. I want to reassure you that, that's not what I'm trying to do here. However... as a firm believer in product research when it comes to camera investments, I figure its better to lay all the cards on the table in cases such as these. Otherwise, you might find yourself frustrated for not thinking things through prior to investing.

ps. There are many people here(including myself) who shoot both Pentax and Nikon. And though I'm not a fan of the D7K myself(for other reasons), I still think it holds certain advantages over the K-5.

Oh,. and be sure to consider the flash systems between both kits if you're into or planning to do flash photography(very important).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JohnBee; 07-18-2011 at 07:13 AM.
07-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Doesn't the D7000 have a special module to work with older lenses?
I'm really not sure what it was called but I was told it was new and unique to that effect(might be worth checking out).

Off the top, I believe the D7000 is approximately the same size and weight as the K-5.

Sounds good. And I think much of this comes down to whether you shoot RAW or JPG. Though just so you know, the D7000 has the exact same sensor as the K-5. Except for one slight difference, it has a slightly weaker AA filter which I believe falls in the give-and-take category. And that's where it produces slightly more microcontrast out of camera at the expense of added moire. Which isn't quite in line with some of the worst camera's out there, but I thought it was worth mentioning just the same.

However on the flip side, the D7000 does hold an advantage over the K-5 in the high ISO department. And that is where it does not add low level NR at higher ISO(ISO2200-51200). Which may or many not affect you depending on what high ISO bracket you shoot at, However, it does present a notable difference between both systems, which ironically translates to the D7K seems producing better ISO6400 images than the K-5. Which I myself find rather odd given that Pentax would have benefited from holding off NR until AFTER ISO6400, but... it is what it is. Either way, the K-5 picks-up past this point by producing consistently better high ISO output beyond this point. Anyways, I'm not trying to confuse you with this and so I'll just leave it at: Advantage D7K up-to ISO6400 and then K-5 beyond that.

Having said all that, at the risk of sounding as though I'm trying to discourage you from investing in a Pentax body. I want to reassure you that, that's not what I'm trying to do here. However... as a firm believer in product research when it comes to camera investments, I figure its better to lay all the cards on the table in cases such as these. Otherwise, you might find yourself frustrated for not thinking things through prior to investing.

ps. There are many people here(including myself) who shoot both Pentax and Nikon. And though I'm not a fan of the D7K myself(for other reasons), I still think it holds certain advantages over the K-5.

Oh,. and be sure to consider the flash systems between both kits if you're into or planning to do flash photography(very important).

Hope this helps.
lol
it sorta sounds as if you are trying to talk me out of the K5 I ordered....
Lighting yes i have all the lighting in my studio already and it will interface with the k-5 just fine...
I have been shooting since 1972.. old fart alert!!
My models are at the point of saying I'm cute and safe... hmmm darn it..........
as far as research I researched for 5 months.. as far as plastic d- series hmmmmf//
If you shoot both then you know.. shoot the d-3 or 7000.. then pick up and shoot the k-5... it not only looks better for IQ in most iso but feels like a "real camera"" lol
I'm sure I'll find it fine if not I'll donate it to the local photo school.
07-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

lit sorta sounds as if you are trying to talk me out of the K5 I ordered....
I had no idea you had already ordered it.
In which case, I'd say welcome aboard!

QuoteQuote:
If you shoot both then you know.. shoot the d-3 or 7000.. then pick up and shoot the k-5... it not only looks better for IQ in most iso but feels like a "real camera
I've never used or shot a D3 and I have handled and shot the D7000 for a few hours only.

However I have shot the D200, D90, D700 and D3x which have all left the same impression on me in terms of IQ and build quality.

As for the K-5, I think the ergonomics are fine. Though not as good as the K20D for my own personal tastes(larger hands). But still... it has a solid feel to it and the buttons are fairly well laid-out. Though I do miss a few of the K20D surface controls also(harping ).
07-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #14

Original Poster
well one last note of all my camera's my fave was and is until I get the K-5 my N90s... and it is known for being a b#$%tch as it has a very differing button layout.... I'm looking forward to mostly all metal body, and a bit less heavy.. it will take a bit to learn the new button lay out but I am happy it has the buttons it does and i will not have to dive as many menu and leave finder to make changes and such..
i cannot wait
07-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #15

Welcome to the forum!

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Darker Side!
We unfortunately, do not have cookies. Only cake.