Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #1

New to DSLR and Pentax

Hi. I am in the middle of doing research on obtaining a DSLR for mainly nature (as in casual birding and animals) and macro photography. After much research on different brands I have decided I really like what Pentax offers. I am trying to decide between the Pentax k-x and the k20d and reading posts in this forum is helping me with that. Due to my budget I am looking at slightly "older" models of Pentax. I am no professional and don't want to be but I am looking forward to expanding my hobby of birding and hiking, etc. to include photography. Thanks and I look forward to learning a lot here.

Karen

07-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

Both the K20d and K-x are good cameras and you will not be disappointed.

The K-x is an entry level with excellent high-ISO capabiity.

The K-20d is a more advanced camera, wth more control and weather resistant.

Since you want to shoot outdoor, I would recommend the K-20d because of the WR and the greater level of control.

Importantly do keep some funds for the lenses. A lens is as important if not more important than the body. The great thing about Pentax is the backwards lens compatibility. Old lenses can still be used on the newer dSLR models.

Hope that the brief comment will assist.

Last edited by hcc; 07-19-2011 at 01:57 AM.
07-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #3

Thanks, hcc. Where does a K200d or *ist fall in the mix? Keeping cost and that it's my first digital SLR in mind? I have many old lenses to use.

Thanks, Sam.
07-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi. Your comment does help a lot. I also would like to know where the k200d and 100d fall in the mix.