Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, I'm Quazi and I'm obsessed

Hey guys,
Basically how I came to be here is for most of my life, I've gone through a pattern of being obsessed with things for 1-3 years at a time. The obsessions' beginnings are not like "bolt of lightning" type of thing, they're always a niggle here and a niggle there - but somehow my new one is photography. Coincidentally, one of the first niggles was made by a guy who I've since become better friends with, and is a K-r user. Back then I wouldn't have been able to name a single SLR brand, letalone Pentax, letalone K-r (or K100D as he had at the time).

So anyway I borrowed his K-r when I started getting interested and once I found out how easy it was to use lenses from the film days, I was sold on Pentax and actually bought an MZ-50 with 2 lenses, as my first purchase and even an M 55mm f2, before I even got a body! I actually tried to get C41 B&W film to use with the MZ-50 but something went wrong and I never got it and just gave up and got a K-x. (I don't buy stuff new, or at least not from shops, so K-x it was).

A great thing about forums is there are actually people as obsessed as you out there, and you can feel more at home and laugh about the lengths other people go to for their hobby, so I'm glad I'm here, just like I'm glad I was on the forum for my last obsession. A pic for you all - I don't think it's my best pic ever or anything but it's not just 'same old landscape' so why not.
Attachment 98145

Last edited by Quazimoto; 08-11-2012 at 04:35 AM.
07-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have had my share of hobbies that I was obsessed with for a while and then moved on to something else. With photography though, even after it was no longer an obsession, it remained a useful tool (and an occasional hobby activity). My biggest regretted is that I started and lived most of my obsession with prosumer cameras. Had I spent all that money on dslr equipment I would be very nicely setup right now (plus that was a much better time to buy for several reasons including some personal ones). I did get a ist-ds and a half dozen af lenses at the end of that addiction though. I did manage to have a couple of min obsessions though. A while back I had a flash obsession (found some flashes really cheap). I got maybe a dozen different flashes, a couple of control modules for my camera, a couple of slave flash modules, and a couple of flash handle/cords.
My latest mini obsession is manual focus lenses (been going crazy on ebay). Unfortunately I don't have the money or time for a full time obsession anymore (young children).
07-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! I have no hobbies, only obsessions. Obsessions are good. Hobbies serve as distractions from life. Obsessions serve as guidelines to life. A good obsession can last a long, long time, long after the model airplanes and kewpie-doll collections have faded and crumbled.
08-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks guys.
Obsessions aren't always better though - hobbies can be pulled back - obsessions pull you. They control your wallet, your time, your dreams haha. But anyway, here I am, and an avid Pentax advocate.