Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #1

Hello from South Carolina!

An introduction forum, eh? Fair enough. My name's Rob. I enjoy walks on the beach in the fall and spring (too hot in the summer), blowing things up with my fellow northern-turned-redneck friends (fireworks are legal here!!), and sleeping next to my beautiful wife and our 3 large dogs. For a living, I am currently a Database Administrator; read: IT super-nerd.

After more than 10 years away from the SLR world, I have returned! I used to have a Ricoh and a Canon, would roll my own film and develop in my own darkroom. Sometimes I miss it, but the IT guy in me LOVES Photoshop. Not to overdo PP, but just for the simplest things (dust removal, slight sharpen/saturation, cropping etc.)

I have just ordered a K-r with the 50-200mm extra lens. I'm stoked! I knew nothing of Pentax before researching which camera to get. I spent HOURS deciding between the K-r, Nikon D3100 and Canon T2i. Between the rave reviews, great price I got on the kit via Amazon (under $700 for body and 2 lenses), and finding this absurdly useful forum, I pulled the trigger. It gets here tomorrow and I will start shooting right away! (I've already read through the manual...)

Only thing I need help with right now: Finding more lenses. I have almost no money left and am having the darndest (excuse my spanglish) time figuring out which lenses are compatible and which ones aren't. I've seen the compatibility chart, but when looking around on Ebay, I can't tell what's what, what to search for, and how to tell if the third party lenses will work without a special adaptor. We have a ton of pawn shops here that will probably have great hidden treasures, but I don't want to have to lug the camera around all the time just to stop by a shop. I really need an f/1.4 or 1.8 lens (35, 50 or 55) and a nice macro lens (I've read about the Raynow 150, but wouldn't I be better served with an actual lens?). Manual focus and aperture are fine. Auto is better. I'm still searching these forums, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, it'd be appreciated!

OK. That wasn't just an intro. I'll go hunt around the forums more now. Thanks for having such an awesome site! N00b away!!

07-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and thank you for that comprehensive introduction you took the time to write!
« New to DSLR | HI »