Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi Pentax club!

I heard of this forum a while ago from somebody at Dpreview, can't remember who, and today for some reason I decided to try joining. I like the layout here so far, and the user gallery of pictures is great too.

For me pictures is what it's all about, not reviews. I am the artist formally known as "coleviolin" on the other site. I read a post by a former member which inspired me to get away from it all. He was one who said he was banning himself from that forum. I've kind of felt like doing that for quite some time, but I'm not that extreeme.

I'll check back later, and thanks in advance.

12-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Lipo....welcome aboard.
12-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome Lipo AKA Coleviolin...
12-16-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Was a fan of your photo's on dpr look forward to seeing them here. Welcome.

12-17-2006, 04:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome, looking forward to see your posts
12-17-2006, 09:40 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for such a warm welcome, and don't worry I won't be bothering you with too many pictures of my daughter, or my ridiculous educated guesses about camera gear.

I see lots of converts from dpreview here, so I hope they can keep their act together as well.

I've owned the DS for almost 2 years, and I was somewhat bothered by Phil's review of it back then. The same issue about incamera jpg softness was his grudge with the DS as well.

I don't want to go through another year of seeing people frustrated with Phil's review. I just don't see how everything about a camera is so wonderful and great, and then one minor "imperfection" arises and the whole world crumbles. It just shows to me a total bias on Phil's part that I don't even need to think about. Whatever problems he's got behind the scene are his own problems, he doesn't need to lash out on the latest and greatest offering from such an amazing little camera company. Sorrry to bring this up again... Let's get back to taking pictures.
12-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lipo Quote
I am the artist formally known as "coleviolin" on the other site.
Of course! Great to see you here. Although I am still visiting DPR from time to time I find myself spending more time here and it is now probably 90/10 in favor of PentaxForums. I hope you'll have the same positive experience.

-= IVAN =-

12-24-2006, 05:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lipo Quote
I heard of this forum a while ago from somebody at Dpreview, can't remember who, and today for some reason I decided to try joining. I like the layout here so far, and the user gallery of pictures is great too.

For me pictures is what it's all about, not reviews. I am the artist formally known as "coleviolin" on the other site. I read a post by a former member which inspired me to get away from it all. He was one who said he was banning himself from that forum. I've kind of felt like doing that for quite some time, but I'm not that extreeme.

I'll check back later, and thanks in advance.
Welcome, Lipo! Great to see you here, you'll like this place. :-)

Looking forward to your posts here.

-Asad
12-24-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Welcome Lipo,
I have always been a fan of your pictures and look forward to seeing them posted here. As for DPR I'm glad I baned myself I had had enough of the tek in fighting. The past year there was enough to make me want to give up photography altogether. I was one of the first to find this forum and have watched it grow. We have a great bunch of real photographers and people willing to show their work instead of fighting about f stops and pixels and and the difference between the offerings of other cameras and wishing Phil would give a positive review.

I'm not worried about how the Dam thing works, I worry that my skills are up to the challenge of using a great camera and being able to call myself a Photographer. Since starting here I have found many positive reviews of my work and great insight to some corrections. I'm glad to see most of the old gang has come to realize taking pictures is what photography is all about.

Again Welcome aboard. I know you will bring quality and taste to the forum as do so many others with the pictures and techniques. Have fun and enjoy it here.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
12-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Lipo! Welcome to the "other" forum! I haven't actually "banned myself" either but I sure don't visit DPR very much. I like it better here as there seems to be more what photography is about for me here. Hope you had a wonderfilled Christmas

NaCl(formerly known as eastsaltwater)H2O
12-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #11

Great to have you here, Lipo!
Jun Park (aka JBug)
12-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

hope you enjoy your stay, you will indeed love it here.

cheers

randy
01-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
wow

Thanks everybody!

I didn't know the welcome process continued on like this. Hope you all have a great new year!

Here's a picture I like.

01-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian

[QUOTE]..the same issue about incamera jpg softness was his grudge with....
QUOTE]

Well, that reviewer is not alone. Even another professional review (and forum site) said he did not like the "soft" images from a non-Pentax, yet said it was easily fixable in the settings. So where's the beef?

Another person said "bright" (or vivid) is too bright, and was apparently upset about it. Perhaps he never found the adjustment?

I started shooting at -2 contrast and +2 sharpness recently, but have also started using RAW which makes settings less of an issue :-)

Anyway, welcome aboard. Some of the other forums get hung up on brand testicularity. At least we are all in the same boat, sinking or sailing together :-)
01-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The beef to me I guess is that reviewers really shouldn't let their own preferences and priorities play a role in a review. Ethically, I don't think any serious reviewer should say "recommended" or "highly recommended" etc... at the end, as a concluding wrap-up statement. Those feelings are from overal personal opinion, and we know from photography more than any other art form that such things are almost totally subjective.

Allright, who cares if a couple of esteemed reviewers don't like Pentax? Well, what matters is that they don't "hate" Pentax, because one would like to think that opinions such as these should hold some value, and they do. The internet isn't free, though it seems like it. I personally value everybody's opinion in some shape or form, because I know that the world is not all in black and white. The nice thing is that we have options, and colors.