Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #1

Greetings earthlings!

Hi everyone!

Just getting back into photography after 10 yr, or so, pause. My last 'real camera' was Leica M6 Classic.

I got a Pentax K-r a few weeks ago after trying Sony a33, Nikon D5100 and Canon 1000D, and not liking either of them.

And this is something worth remembering - might not be the best but it's my first EVER photo taken with Pentax

Name:  one.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  29.7 KB

07-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, Nice shot. The Kr is a great camera to get your start in digital (and if you still have the m6 selling it would buy a couple of nice primes for the Kr, they still sell for $1,200 + from what I see. without a lens of course)
07-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Welcome to the forum, Nice shot. The Kr is a great camera to get your start in digital (and if you still have the m6 selling it would buy a couple of nice primes for the Kr, they still sell for $1,200 + from what I see. without a lens of course)
Thanks.

When I was young and stupid (now only the latter left) I traded M6 for a Sony Mavica FD-7. It was either M6 or a kidney Back then FD-7 was something I would consider hi-tech, believe it or not.
Nowadays... most people do not believe that a camera would use a 3.5" floppy disc as a storage medium without Googling it first!
Unfortunately some nice primes will have remain a property of a local photo store for some time
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

LMAO i remember the FD7 (sold them actually)

I too would regret having traded an M6 for one of those (though at the time they sure seemed a technical marvel)
Best deal on primes if you don't mind manual focus is to hit the boot sales and buy the old ones. I picked up an SMC M 50 f1.7 in portobello last fall for 10 pounds, so pretty much pass on a couple of pints and it's paid for
my most used primes have cost me a total of $100 CDN (about 60 pounds) a 28 f3.5, 50 f1.7, 100 f2.8 200 f4.0
that's one of the beauties of Pentax complete backwards compatability

07-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
Digital revolution! Unlimited storage... Free photos... No more endless hours in the basement lab breathing unhealthy mix of chemicals... I should have known better and stick to M6.

Anyway - already probing local markets and ebay for some 'accessories'

Wife's not gonna be happy :P
07-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ha, I fell for that when I finally bought my DS when it was released, i had been waiting for an SLR, I dumped a ton of film gear when i did that. I've bought even more since at mostly less than i sold the old stuff for but i didn't have a leica (nor do I yet, though i lust after them regularly)
07-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
I spent most of my youth in Poland and Eastern Germany. Then, there you could only get a Leica or a Zenit.
Brands like Nikon or Canon were only briefly mentioned in radical photography magazines.
So I didn't even think twice when I had a chance to trade a Leica for Sony.
Everybody else had a Leica... I was a Sony owner now

Strangely enough I still have all my Zenit cameras from back then

07-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have fake leicas (fed 4and 5) lol
I started in 72 with a zenit
« Hello | howdy y'all »