Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Newbie to site, not to Pentax

Hi everyone.
I've been reading from afar and decided to formally introduce myself. I'm Jeri, from Wisconsin and I'm glad there is a forum for Pentex users. I've owned Pentax cameras for more than 30 years. My first DSLR was given to me 4 years ago as a 30th wedding anniversary gift. It is a K100d 6.1 mgpx. I love the camera but would like to purchase a new Pentax, possibly a Kr with a 300mm lens. I have 2 concerns: I'm looking to challange my abilities and wonder if the Kr will do that, but I can't afford a camera that will cost me more than $900. I have been working more and more on Manual rather than auto. People tell me I take a good picture, but I see some of the talent on this site and I feel mine are junk. Opinions about a camera would be much appreciated. I am going to try to post a photo I recently took. Thanks all.

07-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #2

Hey there!

Wow your history with Pentax certainly goes way beyond mine. My family owned an old Asahi Pentax from the 1950/60s but it was buried in a corner and, well, I was always oblivious about it.

Anyway, I started off with a simple K-x about a year and half ago. I shot pretty much all Manual then, having just the 18-55 and a 50 f1.4.

I'd say a Kr would work fine, personally. A K-7 would give you more control but as far as I know, the Kr/Kx/K5 have better noise control and IQ in general. And if you want something to push your skills... A simpler camera might force you to think out of the box to achieve the effects you want.

And the Kx/Kr have generally high resale value anyway lol.
07-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my K-r!

I bought the K-r kit with the 18-55 and 50-200 lens. I took a chance on it because I had to buy it online I couldn't find anywhere that had pentaxes in stock for me to try out. I love it, so much so that I decided to dabble with the old Kmount primes on it. I acquired a 50mm 1:2 prime to test the water. I have enjoyed it so much that I purchased an old K1000 with a 28mm and a 80-200mm manual lenses. Back to basics to re-train myself I love that i can use all of the old lenses on the K-r and have full manual control with the beauty of seeing instant results! There are also a lot of wonderful automatic features that were new to me like the built in filters etc.....Purchasing the K-r gave my interest in photography a real kick in the pants - i needed it and I'm loving being back in the game.

So glad to say goodbye to My Olympus e-volt kit - hello Pentax!