Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #1

Hello from UK - newbie K7 user

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi so I splashed out on a K7, its my first DSLR camera, I have had plenty of other cameras from slr to digital compact. However I think I underestimated the K7, there is sooo much to learn with this one, I turn the screen on and there are multiple things I have no idea about, now i'm half way through the manual, and my test shots so far have not left me disappointed but I think I need some advice from the experienced ones within this website.

I am quite eclectic with my photography I love landscapes, portraits, macro..ect.

Now I am quite happy with the initial 18-55 lens which came with the camera, I am curious about the next 2 lenses I wish to buy, now I have looked at various recommendations on this forum already. But i specifically would like a good macro lense and a good landscape lense.

Now i have seen people post pentax, sigma, tamron, voigtlander and raynox lenses. I am no expert on additional lenses, i have yet to research these fully but anyone off the top of their head have any suggestions ?

many thanks

07-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hey kitkat-k7,
If you are a bit confused about the features on the K-7 don't worry, you'll get used to it in no time! Maybe buying a guide for it off amazon would help; Magic Lantern Guides: Pentax K-7: Amazon.co.uk: Peter K. Burian: Books
Really all I can say is experiment with it, don't be frightened to muck around with the settings to see what they do, that's how I got to know my K-5.
Macro lens wise you can't beat the Pentax 100mm WR, it may be on the expensive side but produces some brilliant images, Maybe if your more price concious the Tamron 90mm or the pentax 50mm Macro are also brilliant. I can't really say much on landscape as it depends whether you want wide angle landscape shots or short telephoto shots. I would recommend something like the 21mm f3.2 or the sigma 10-20mm f3.5.
If you are able to you should go down to your local photography store/s and test out some lenses (if they'll let you) or even better find out if there are any pentax pro centers nearby!
Hope this helps.
Bertie.
07-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. The K-7 is a nice camera and you will not be disappointed.

I would recommend that you take the time to read the whole instruction manual, There are a lot of useful info. (It took be a few weeks to read the instructions, but I saw my skills improving rapidly once I knew how the camera works.)

The kit lens (18-55mm) is quite decent among all kit lenses and all brands. I would recommend that you use it for a few months before moving on. Pentax has a lot of nice lenses, and there are excellent third-party lenses. In addition, the backward lens compatiblity allows you to use a large number of older, cheaper lenses. These can be purchaeed from various sources, but the PF marketplace is a great place to buy 2nd hand lenses.

Lastly get a software to PP your shots (and be familiar with it). PDCU 4.33 is quite a reasonable one. Not the most user-friendly but it has some excellent IQ outputs and the latest version 4.33 is quite stable.

Hope that the comments will help.