Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi - new to here

Hi all from a Scot living in USA with her first DSLR (Pentax K5)
Need advice on 2nd lens and just general photography tips....
Angela

08-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, you'll get lots of advise here (some good some bad some just plain odd
For a second lens recommendation I think identifying what it is you want to do will yield the best advise (So many lenses so little money is always my biggest issue)
08-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
Advice? You have come to the right place. Many will suggest that you perform a search within the topics of the forum for ones that apply to your inquiry. Perhaps someone has started a post with a search for the lenses you have in mind and suggestions can be skimmed from that topic. If you have more specific thoughts and needs, feel free to start a new post of your own.
Relax and settle in and you will soon find there are many wonderful members on the forum and a wide level of experience and skills. Don't be afraid to think and speak freely. Be friendly and constructive. Enjoy the photography of others and hopefully be inspired.
See ya 'round.
08-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Welcome

I presume you are having the kit lens with your new camera. Now probably you can get hold of some fast legacy lens that are supposed to be cheap. Like the M50 f1.4/1.7 but these are manual focus so make sure you are comfortable in the usage. Just incase you have the comfortable budget for spending on the glass then you can look for the DA series primes.
Again the actual focal length depends on what lens you currently have as I don't see you mentioning the lens you currently own.
On the other hand, you can also look for upgrading to a fast walkaround lens like tamron 28-70 f2.8 that usually gets good review here.
More comments will follow from other veterans so hold your breath.

08-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome

I have an Pentax 18-55mm DA but need a longer zoom as I want to be able to photograph all the amazing wildlife I see here in Illinois... birds, squirrels, hummingbirds, deer...was really excited the other day to see my first raccoon at the birdfeeder, until I was told not to encourage them as they are more pests than anything else (but they're soooo cute looking and extremerly photogenic)

Illinois might not have the scenery Scotland has but it makes up for it in wildlife
08-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Well the most reasonable decent lens that will give you more reach is the DA50-200 WR which has the benefit of WR, but i think the most recommended is the DA55-300 which is not WR but is the better lens and gives you and extra 100 mm of reach.
If you only need a bit more reach and would like to carry only one lens as much as possible the newer DA18-135WR is quite a good solution
Their is always the cheaper option of older Manual Focus lenses and a reasonable 70-200 Manual focus lens can easily be had for well less than $100 (personally i like the old MF prime lenses but am not a big fan of the zooms)
And old SMC M 200 F 4.0 prime can also be had quite cheaply and has excellent iq along with being quite compact for the focal length
Have a look at the various lens reviews it'll give you an idea of what is out there and what people think of them along with an average price paid
Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Complete Lens Database
08-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Angela.
No shortage of advice given here.
For a decent but great value zoom, I'd suggest a DA 55-300. Sharp, good contrast and colours, and at the right price. Even complements the kit 18-55 lens well.
08-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the 55-300, though I ultimately sold it (too many long zooms), but 300mm is barely enough for those small critters. The price starts to go up quickly when you talk 120-400 or 150-500, though.

08-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I like the 55-300, though I ultimately sold it (too many long zooms), but 300mm is barely enough for those small critters. The price starts to go up quickly when you talk 120-400 or 150-500, though.
HAHA with the racoons in my neighbourhood you need a wide angle as they won't run away even when you're a foot from them. Cocky little buggers, they make a hell of a mess on the street weekly on garbage day when people put out their food waste (I've yet to see a bin that would defeat them, fortunately they avoid mine as i put used Cat litter in it as well