Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from NZ

hello to all from way down here (aka New Zealand)and in case your wondering.. 1: we're not part of Australia though seems lately that half of new zealand lives there now

now i have a couple of real easy questions for lot's of people to answer with crazy and mad-capped answers

ok question 1: I'm seriously looking at getting one of those package deals from ebay. you know the ones.. the ones that come with camera, 55mm lense, 1 gig card, card reader, cleaning stuff, wide angle thingy-me-bob.... now my query is.... *are they any bloody good*????

the reaason i'm buying from ebay is coz it's actually cheaper to import it than it is to buy here.... just the camera and lens alone here is worth just under $900 NZ, where getting it from ebay is landed at my door for about 600-700 NZ (and you get more stuff with it)

so what am i using at the moment?... well it's a expensive point and shooy sony cybershot H2 which dose the job if you want family snaps and stuff, but i'm wanting to get into it a bit more serious and the poor little sony just dosn't step up to the plate ( if you know what i mean)

why have i chosen pentax?..... well originally i was heading for canon, BUT my professional photographer brother pointed me towards pentax as he tells me it's just as good as a canon and the price range is in your league as well. and he reckons they handle the rough stuff pretty darn good as well

thanks for looking

cheers
Lazy_B

11-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know about the package deals you mention, but if they look too good to be true, they probably are!

Another option would be to buy from one of the reputable discount camera stores like Adorama or B&H Photo in New York.
11-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ole thanks

here's a quick example of what i'm looking at

Pentax K100D Digital SLR Camera +2 LENS & 2GB PKG NEW - (eBay item 140181257510 end time Nov-26-07 10:31:12 PST)

and yes the big brother has mentioned B&H in new york. and yes i've ventured onto thier website many times but they don't have the package like that does.... cameta cameras does though and i'm in email talks with them now
11-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazy_B Quote
Ole thanks

here's a quick example of what i'm looking at

Pentax K100D Digital SLR Camera +2 LENS & 2GB PKG NEW - (eBay item 140181257510 end time Nov-26-07 10:31:12 PST)

and yes the big brother has mentioned B&H in new york. and yes i've ventured onto thier website many times but they don't have the package like that does.... cameta cameras does though and i'm in email talks with them now
The wide angle attachment is not a lens in its own but attaches to the front for your lens and provides a wider angle. Possibly OK for video, but will probably yield unacceptable quality when used for photo. The tripod is probably too flimsy to be of use. You may want the UV filter to protect the front element for your lens. You will never need the other two filters for a digital camera. The SD card is not a major brand - we have some horror stories about malfunctioning (counterfeit) SD cards. The lens cleaning kit costs only a couple of dollars.

The camera and the zoom lens are the only items of value in this kit - and perhaps the bag.

So take that into account when comparing prices.

11-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #5

Welcome! Always wanted to go to NZ.
11-29-2007, 05:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heya kiwi, welcome to the forums. I know what you mean about importing...prices down here are crazy as heck, nearly double what the US pays AFTER conversion for some lenses! Anyway, theres a few other kiwis around here, maybe they can shed their experiences with shopping/ordering abroad. The kit your looking at looks pretty sweet imo, fat chance landing something like that locally lol. You may also want to try looking at ebay aus or some of the aussie camera stores...theres some pretty good deals there too and a little bit cheaper then local as well. Good luck.
11-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yeah dude, just for the camera and a 55mm lens up your way from parrellel imports is approx 900 dollars, with this you actually get the camera landed at your door for a few hundred less, plus the other stuff i don't need i could sell off on trademe anyways
11-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi there. I was in your situation last year but in the end I bit the bullet and bought through the local dealer. After a lot of haggling I got a decent deal and for me the warranty bit was important. It is easier in Auckland where you have at least 4 shops to choose from.
Give Auckland Camera Centre, Photo Warehouse and Camera & Camera a call to see what they can do.

Cheers
Eddie

11-30-2007, 02:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Kia ora cobber,welcome aboard.
11-30-2007, 03:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see more shots from NZ. I'd agree with Ole's assesment of that package. You might also want to wait for a deal right here on the forum marketplace. It seems like there's a camera for sale every week or so. Maybe you could post a WTB thread and see if anyone has a camera to sell.
12-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
Inactive Account

On-line happy

Bought my *ist DL and 18-55 with a 1GB card on-line from Abes of Maine in 1996. There was a Pentax rebate that was applicable too. I didn't get all the other stuff they would also bundle up for extra $ as it was cheaper to buy what I really needed one at a time on-line.

I've since bought 6 k or m42 screw mount lenses of e-Bay and am absolutely delighted with the quality I've gotten for the price. - 50mm f1.4 for $30 / 100mm f4 bellows lens for $25

Have fun and welcome
12-01-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
Kia ora cobber,welcome aboard.
cool a bit of Moari greeting, bit of aussie slang all mixed into a nevada person.... well thats something you don't see everyday isn't it

QuoteQuote:
Bought my *ist DL and 18-55 with a 1GB card on-line from Abes of Maine in 1996. There was a Pentax rebate that was applicable too. I didn't get all the other stuff they would also bundle up for extra $ as it was cheaper to buy what I really needed one at a time on-line.
Yeah ombre I've started to look around the shops that have been mentioned in here and are emailing like mad just to see whats still on the market etc

thanks all

cheers
Lazy_B
12-04-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazy_B Quote
cool a bit of Moari greeting, bit of aussie slang all mixed into a nevada person.... well thats something you don't see everyday isn't it

cheers
Lazy_B
Actually I'm from Dorkland
12-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #14

Hi kiwi! New Zealand, what a beautiful place..

Last July I was in Valencia to support your sailing team (after you beaten our boat Lunarossa) but Alinghi was good and lucky!

No matter, next time!