Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Old but new Pentax gear

Hi all at Pentax Forum
This is a great forum where we who are new to Pentax digitals will find very useful info.
About myself, I've just turned 60 and got this wonderful K-5 kit as my present. I've always used Olympus gear so far and am quite excited about this new camera. Now I am looking for a wide zoom to replace the kits zoom.

08-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
In my opinion the kit zoom is good enough for an amateur photographer, I've used it for more than a year.
A good alternative would be the DA16-45. It's got constant f/4 aperture and it's sharp, has rich colors and plenty of contrast. It's wide enough at 24mm equivalent and you may think that it's not long enough, but it is. You've got 16mpix on the K-5 so you can always crop a bit.
The best part is, you can get it used for about 250-300 USD here on the Marketplace.

Welcome!
08-08-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for your post. I think my 18-55 kit lens is missing a bit sharpness. My older Olympus wide zoom is sharper. I've tried manual focus as well as autofocus but still I think it's not sharp enough. Maybe I'll have a closer look at the DA16-45. Thanks so far.
08-08-2011, 03:35 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Yes, Oly kit lenses are the best.

You can also have a look at the Pentax 17-70/4, Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 or Tamron 17-50/2.8. They are often considered as a kit lens replacement.

09-11-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum!
Congratulations the K-5. A great camera that really can be considered to be a game changer due to the excellent performance of its Sony sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by 9057Polarbear Quote
Now I am looking for a wide zoom to replace the kits zoom.
Are you looking for a "faster" (brighter) lens or one which will give you more AOV (a wider angle of view)?

The kit lens isn't bad at all, if you can live with the widest apertures it offers. The Pentax 16-45/4 is very decent, but if you want to have more DOF control, you should seriously consider the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or a Sigma 18-50/2.8.

There is also the Pentax 16-50/2.8 which has weather resistance as a unique selling proposition. It is a costlier solution, though, and in terms of IQ it is not better than the Tamron/Sigma zooms. Sadly, there are many users who had the SDM motor fail on their 16-50/2.8. There are many users without problem as well, but many Pentaxians attach at least a warning about potential SDM issues when they recommend the Pentax 16-50/2.8.

If you want something wider, you'll love the Sigma 10-20 (both, variable and constant aperture are very good) or the Sigma 8-16 (offering the widest focal length for APS-C available).

Last edited by Class A; 09-11-2011 at 05:10 AM.