Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canadian in Beijing

Hey everyone! I'm very very very new to this forum and fairly new to Pentax dslr's and gear. The only cameras I've ever purchased have been Pentax cameras. (all point and shoot from the Optio S series). A few years back a friend gave me his old MZ-50 w kit lens and I played with it a lot but never learned much about photography. Last year my wife and I found out we were pregnant with our first, so she told me I should buy a new DSLR and of course I chose Pentax. At the time the K-x had won the 2010 TIPA entry level DSLR award, and yet the camera store guys not only never mentioned it as an option, they downright discouraged me from buying it. I didn't listen.

I'm looking forward to getting a little deeper into the Pentax community for advice and hopefully meeting other Pentax users in Beijing.

08-08-2011, 04:16 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, and I'm sure you'll find it resourceful.
Expect the usual resistance against Pentax, being the less popular brand but very good value for money in every way. The K-x is a fine little camera, and will serve you well for years to come. The great lenses you put on it will make it shine.
08-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ash,

Again as I'm still very new to this forum, I'm not sure where the best place is to start a new post. I have read a lot about the K-x modset.492 file in terms of fine tuning the focus. My understanding is that the adjusting is a global adjustment to the camera's AF system (as opposed to the kind on the K-5 where you can make adjustments that are saved for each lens).

Maybe I'm just too new and haven't discovered it yet, but I can't seem to find much more information on the "how to's" of this, which makes me want to start a thread somewhere so users who have experience can help each other. Let me explain...:

The first steps have been posted and are easy. I can create the 492 file, load it on the SD card, enter debug mode and make the AF adjustments.

It's AFTER this point that I am not sure of the BEST methods. Obviously if the debug mode only makes global AF adjustments, the most accurate method is to leave the file in the root of the SD card and test every lens, write down the best result and dial it in every time you use that lens.

HOWEVER, (and sorry if this is getting long) is there any logic to choosing a global adjustment and leaving it that way for all lenses rather than adjusting for each lens? If so, would it make sense to choose the fastest lens I use and adjust for the widest aperture? Could be totally wrong, just wondering.