Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #1

lenses

i am new to the forum and new to dslr photography. i have a pentax k-7 with a sigma 18-250.i am looking to purchase a few more lens but unsure whats good.i have looked at some 50mm,so if anyone has some suggestion please fill free to educate me i am still trying to learn the camera it self.thanks in advance.

08-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome! Zillions of good lenses are available. (I only have a couple hundred.) When I moved from a compact camera to a dSLR, I asked myself, "What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have?" and the answers were: to shoot ultrawide, and long, and in low-light. So my first lenses were the DA10-17 fisheye zoom, the DA18-250 superoom, and the FA50/1.4 Fast Fifty. And those are still my most-used kit.

Your 18-250 is a good start -- it goes from pretty wide to pretty long. The FA50/1.4 is my gotta-get-the-shot lens, fast and agile and with great optics. I think it is indispensable. And if I were starting now, my next lens wouldn't be the DA10-17 but the Tamron 10-24 ultrawide. Some prefer a Sigma 8-16 or 10-20, and we often debate the differences. Everyone here has their preferences, and we'll be happy to spend your money for you, suggesting this lens or that. Welcome to the funny farm!

Last edited by RioRico; 08-08-2011 at 09:31 PM.
08-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks. some of the lenses you mentioned i have never herd of like i said i am new to the game i have three kids and they are my prime targets,but i do like the sound of a wide lens so sounds like i need to research some more lens i like to have great close ups of my kids but also have some story telling in the picture.so any help is grateful.thanks.with three kids i am already at the funny farm its very hard to get them in the same picture.without some persuasion.
08-09-2011, 03:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome kc, sniff around the lens reviews. There are heaps of older and quite affordable lenses that might suit your needs and not strain the budget.

08-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, and welcome to the forum, Kenneth.
I have a few old M and Takumar 50's - love using them, and learning to do manual shots. There are usually some good deals to be had in the Marketplace
The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com
08-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 50mm might be a bit long for what you want, unless you are outside. The DA 35 has more of a "normal" angle of view and may work a bit better indoors, and is not too expensive.
08-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you're wanting to go down the prime route for enhanced IQ... Go through your photos and check the exif data to see what focal lengh you use most... 50mm or 35mm are both usable to me...

If you're wanting to expand (ie... go wider) RioRico's advice was sound...

Welcome to the forum!!
08-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
what is the difference between these two lens (Normal smc P-D FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro Autofocus Lens) and (Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens) besides the f-stop.not sure about the macro i don't under stand lenses to the full extent yet.thanks

08-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Macro means extreme closeup, measured in Magnification Factor. If the image on the sensor is the same size as the actual subject, that is called 1:1 or 1x. If the image is half life-size, the magnification is 1:2 or 0.5x; if it's twice life-size, it's 2:1 or 2x. The DFA 50/2.8 macro focuses to about 5cm / 2in with 1:1 / 1x magnification. The FA50/1.4, which is two f-stops faster, focuses to about 45cm with maybe 1:7 / 0.15 magnification. Also, macro lenses are designed to be SHARP throughout their range. Many will call the DFA50 their sharpest lens ever. (The FA50 is also very sharp when stopped-down beyond f/2.8.)

But nothing comes free. Both lenses can be manually focused, and manual focus is necessary at macro ranges. There is a difference in focus throw, the distance you must turn the lens to focus. Focus throw from 1m to infinity on the FA50 is about 60 degrees; on the DFA50 macro it's only about 10 degrees or less. That means that manually focusing beyond 1m on the macro lens is very tricky. I have a manual-focus 50mm 1:1 macro lens that I can't use much for street shooting, just because of the delicate focusing needed. If the DFA is only used in AF for distance shooting, fine; but manually, it really is best for close work.

And that two f-stop difference means not just that the FA50 can shoot in much lower light, or with a faster shutter for capturing action, but also that it has more control over DOF (depth of field), the range of distances where an image is sharp. The FA50 is much better for separating a subject from their surroundings at non-macro distances.

In short, even though these are both 50mm lenses, they are very different tools for different jobs. My FA50/1.4 is my gotta-get-the-shot lens, fast and agile. My old manual Macro-Takumar 50/4 (1x) is for slow careful work at fairly close distances. Each has its place.

Last edited by RioRico; 08-10-2011 at 06:37 PM.
08-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #10

Original Poster
i am leaning more toward the (Normal smc P-D FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro Autofocus Lens) would this lens be good for portraits and landscape i am still trying to learn about lens.i have looked at a lot of photos on the site and i am truly illiterate on taking pictures.but this seems like a great place to learn.thanks everyone so far.