Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
New boy on the block, a somewhat old new boy

I am about to stop taking photos with my Panasonic GF1, which has been a great joy to me. The problem is I still remember looking through a Nikon viewfinder and the GF1 doesn't come near to that for framing. The truth is that I am very cautious and for three months now I have read everything I can about the Pentax K5 and it sounds like the answer to everything a keen photographer wants. I welcome general comments on the camera, its ease of use ad the finished results. I will be producing brochures and posters, some very big for the local theatre, which is my retirement hobby, using a lifetimes skills from the workplace to help others. Will I be buying the right kit? I am considering the K5 with a 17-70mm lens, the shop suggests a Sigma, because of price he says it is as good, but my soul says stay in house. My images will be of the cast, individual and groups in costume also the dress rehearsal for publicity, lighting is sometimes very low for effect. Suggested lens would be very helpful if this is not appropriate. Many thanks in anticipation.

PJW

08-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome PJW,

I'm sure the K-5 will do well in the theater with its low-light performance. The DA 17-70 produces very nice images. If you need more info. on the lenses take a look at the lens review section here: Pentax-DA 17-70mm F4 AL [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Complete Lens Database and Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Lens Reviews - Current Zoom Lenses - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database.
08-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
PJW
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for your reassurance. I relish others opinions when it comes to upmarket equipment it is important not to go down the wrong path.

Thanks again
PJW
I will check out the reviews as listed.