Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #1

New to Pentax

Hey All,

Names Mike and I'm new to Pentax. Always been a Canon guy, well just because. Recently I got a smok'n deal on a NIB K20D that just couldn't be passed up, so here I am.

Bit of background on me: Graduated with a BA in Photography, but unfortunately, I haven't really taken any "Photos" in 14+ years. No particular reason why, just got side tracked and time got away from me. In the past I've done mostly landscapes, but have experimented with some studio and lighting stuff as well. I'm a 35mm Transparency guy, but figured if I'm gonna start back in, might as well be in digital, plus I have no place to put a dark room, and always hated the chemicals.

So, here I am with a K20D in hand, 15-55 Kit lens at the ready, and I have no clue what I'm doing. Help will be needed and I expect to have a few dumb posts from time to time. If you need me, I'll be reading my Magic Lantern guide and cursing a lot. Feel free to shoot me some tips.

Looking into some new glass as well, kit lenses have never appealed to me, I like the primes, so recommendations are welcome

Mike

Last edited by M.Klapp; 08-10-2011 at 04:56 PM.
08-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Hey! Welcome to Pentax!!! ... Oh... I should say that I'm not a Pentax spokesman nor do I play one on television...

So, 18-55mm kit lens... good!
If you are not meaning Canon digital then you will not need too much warning that the K20D may look dimmer in results than others brands are default set to...That seems the popular note.
Do look over the manual of course... some important customizing things should be noted...or
Dive in...
I like shooting my K20D in M mode almost all the time. So I will not have much to say about any other modes... As I tend to almost mimic using my K20D as a film camera.
When judging images, do check it later on a good LCD monitor as well as verify the color calibrations of that monitor. The camera lcd is fine for most cases but I think it is muddy in bright sun...as most other lcd views.
Note that after the camera is turned ON... the "ka-chunka" sound is normal so no worries... CMOS sensor wake-up.

The fast way, in M that is, to dial ISO changes is to hold the OK button and the display will confirm you are in ISO setting... just finger the front dial to change...love the dual dials. If you have lots of wild lighting conditions to shoot all the time, it is handy to know this one now.
I like using RAW... JPEG is fine, but for some publications, the chopped details never fun.
Test Shooting! ...Fire off a series of tricky lighting situations to get the feel of it... as I've notice the camera seems to be balanced much like familiar film cameras. Speaking of film cameras... Film lenses!!! K-mount!
Thats it for now... I'm sure others have their info to add.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 08-10-2011 at 05:38 PM.
08-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, for the input and info.

I'm coming in from Canon Film cameras, no clue on the digital stuff . . . Yet, but I'll get there.

M
08-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #4

Hello All ! It is Jack here and new to photography. Love the market function here and the great atomsphere ! Look forward to sharing my pictures and receive constructive reviews.

Thanks !

08-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to have you here Mike, and welcome.
I'm sure you'll find this forum useful.
Enjoy photography with your 'new' K20D.
08-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Ash! I'm excited to learn.