Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New Pentax owner from North Carolina Piedmont

Hello everyone.

I've recently purchased (end of July 2011) my first ever Pentax camera: the K-5 with a SMC Pentax 16-50mm DA* zoom. I sold my Hasselblad that wasn't getting any use and used the proceeds to upgrade from my Canon 20D.

My interest in the K-5 was the great image quality reviews and the ability to use old lenses. After reading so much about the K-5 (including on this forum--thank you!) I set out to buy one, but couldn't find a dealer any closer than Washington DC (not even Atlanta!). Reluctant to buy a camera I couldn't hold in my hands, I went to a local camera shop and bought a Canon 7D. Since I had a it was a logical step, but I had such a bad case of buyer's remorse that I couldn't take the camera out of the box! Two days later I purchased the K-5 online.

I'm excited about exploring the look of the classic Super Takumar lenses for making digital photographs. So far on eBay I've picked up the Super Macro Takumar 50mm f/4, and a "two-fer-one price" lot with the 70-150mm Super Takumar f/ 4.5 Zoom and 135mm f/2.5. (The last two lenses just arrived in the mail today). I settled on used non-Pentax M42 adaptor despite warnings to the contrary from comments in this forum, but who knows when the Pentax brand adaptor will be available and I want to start shooting!

For my day job, I'm a photographic archivist at a major research university. I'm also an RIT photography grad from 1982.

Enough rambling . . . see you around the forum!

08-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome sjf -- from a few miles down the road in Durham. Speaking of super-taks, this local craigslist listing includes a 55mm f2, as well as a tele-tak 200mm f5.6. I had asked for details but am not really interested in either lens.

Enjoy your K-5 and interesting collection of lenses!