Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newbie from Sunny Florida!

I've been reading and learning so much from these forums the past few months. All in anticipation of eventually breaking down and getting a K-5. The reviews, technical info, and sample photo threads have all been very helpful. This site is a great resource.

In the film days I had a Ricoh XRM (well, still have it) and loved it. So I have a handful of Pentax mount lenses still kicking around. Cheap, generic stuff, but it's a start. When I finally went digital, I didn't have the money to jump to another SLR, so I've been with the Canon G-series. Recently I've been using an older Canon dSLR and it's been enough to make we want to jump back in full bore.

So I shopped Canon and Nikon and compared everything. My friend (who's letting me use the older Canon) is a pro/semi-pro Canon user that is very generous and I'm sure would let me share equipment. But when I also looked at Pentax offerings on the thought that I could start with my old lenses and get new stuff later, I just couldn't look past the K-5. The small size, low light abilities, and weather resistance are too great of a combo to pass up. I can't help but think that if I pass it up and get a Canon or Nikon, I'd be 'settling' on the latest Mommie-cam du jour. And I have no kids so that would just be embarrassing! Unless I go with a full frame or more pro model, but then we're talking bodies that cost twice as much.

So HI everyone from a hopefully soon to be K5 user!
Thanks for a great forum,
Wendy

08-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Welcome! IMO unless you're looking for full-frame, Pentax bodies are unrivaled. My favorite thing about Pentax in general is how easy they make manually overriding the aperture or shutter speed, even when in P mode- you just turn the corresponding e-dial, and the desired setting will be used!
08-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. I should have said that full frames are not only twice the cost, but also twice the size. And that's a huge facotr for me. You know, I have to be considerate of the size and weight of the gear that I'm asking my husband to carry around for me.

You're right about the separate dials - I am really looking forward to that. On the old Canon you can use the one dial on "P" to rotate between combos, but it's not quite the same. But I do like how the Canon uses the wheel to rotate focus points (while or after pressing the point button) as opposed to what I've read (in the manual and on these forums) about the 4-way buttons rotating the points. But I wouldn't count that as a deal breaker, just something to get used to.
08-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome from a fellow Floridian.

08-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

hello