Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #1

Back here after a LONG absence...

Hi, everyone.

Good mornin' All........................

This is from Pensacola Beach, Florida. Irene may come our way distantly, but this summer's weather overall has been warm and pleasant. Our water is clean and abundant. I will soon move to Gulf Breeze, on the peninsular between Pensacola and Pensacola Beach/Gulf of Mexico.

I had a career as a Medical Administrator while on active duty with the Air Force, building and managing hospitals. Now I am writing fiction with nothing published yet. I use the central Gulf coast as the site (s) for my writing and use my Pentax K10D extensively while doing that. I sometimes get some good exposures, but mostly now need some more thinking and planning before shooting a lot.

I have several 35mm Pentax cameras, one Nikon 35mm camera, an old Kodak 35mm camera, but now shoot only with the digital Pentax. And I almost always use the RAW file format. I am 78 years old and contend with AFIB, so I sometimes struggle with the camera functions. I do use a Cannon printer to make 8" X 10" prints, but lust after a new one which will provide me with much larger prints such as, for example, a 13" X 19" print. We get unusual weather situations down here that offer opportunities for spectacular photos and I am now wanting to get one of those with Pensacola in the background and Pensacola Bay in the foreground.

Pensacola is a BIG town, not a city, such as is Mobile. We do have all of the Art amenities, though, just on a smaller scale. There is a very active photography club in town, though I know little about it at this point; I did recently attend one of their exhibits and it was successful, but of less quality than those I had become accustomed to seeing over in Mobile. There I met a young female professional photographer who was taking shots of the recent oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. All of her shots were from the air and that perspective was fascinating.

The central Gulf coast area offers great opportunities for photos associated with the Gulf of Mexico and the towns/cities lying close by. Apalachicola, Florida, is a favorite place for me, along with the off-shore barrier islands, including St. George. I have a completed manuscript involving that area and Mobile Bay. Now I am trying to develop some photos to be used in conjunction with a jacket for that novel. From Apalachicola, Florida to Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, stretches the area of my primary interest. Many old sites lie along that line, such as Mobile, Pensacola, Apalachicola, Biloxi, etc. I'm native to east Alabama, but Florida has always been 'home' to me, so now I am actually becoming a Floridian!

Enough! But a bit further about the lens...I like the 200 mm SMC Pentax Macro lens, the 24-90 mm zoom lens, the 18mm-55mm zoom lens (although I lust for a wide-angle with a reach to 10mm)...What do you know about the X90 Pentax? I need a quality pocket-sized camera...Looked at the Leica, their new product along those lines and really liked the zoom spread...Anyway.................Later,

Apalach

08-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Apalach -- sounds like you'll have lots to contribute here. Good luck with Irene. I'm sure you'll find lots of opinions on your many interesting questions.
08-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome Apalach I'm in the Mexico Beach area so If you drive by this way give me a hollar.
08-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Welcome Apalach, nice to have you on the forum!

« hello | Heeello »