Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2011, 04:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to PF Cee Cee!

As you mentioned above there's a large percentage of Aussie Pentax users using K-5 including myself, having done the K-x to K-5 update route I'd say get the K-5, it will leave you no reason to update for a long while, the duel scrolling wheel setup is a such a delight to use and the shutter is just soooooo quiet,and you still have the old lens to play with!

08-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
Thanks Richard, .... hey all you K5 owners, which would you think would be better, buy a Kr and spend the extra money on a really good lens (or two) or buy a K5 with a lesser lens with a view to possibly upgrading to a better lens at a later date. I tend to think buy the better camera and possibly end up with the best of both in the future, but then again a "bird in hand ...." it would be nice to start taking better images (due to the lens) straight away, rather than look back and think if only I had that better lens when I took this shot! I look forward to your thoughts.
My vote, for what it's worth, is to go for the best lens(es) you can afford and upgrade the camera body later. You don't have to buy a new body. I'm a fan of the K200D which you can get for a very modest sum second hand. It's got a very good sensor at ISO < around 800 and its performance in good light/low ISO is superb. Check out the "Do you miss the K200D" thread. A couple of examples from me:

DA* 16-50

DA* 50-135

You should see them full-sized

Richard.
08-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I reckon you all ready have some goodies in the old M42s, make them shine with a K5 and adding more modern goodies as the budget allows for it.
Personally I'm in no rush to add the latest DA* lenses and there's less tech to break.
08-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
thanks for the input guys, you make a good point RichardS, I'm not adverse to second hand equipment, the DA*16-50 shot is superb, I feel like I'm in the room with the guy. You also make a good point xjjohnno, I haven't really explored the full possibilities of my M42 lenses on my *ist DS yet,( let alone on a better camera) just because of the inconvienience of the adapter, I guess what I need to do is just leave the adapter fitted and shoot with those lenses only for a couple of weeks. Oh well, just got the power & water bills and council rates = - K5..... So I guess I'll just be thinking about it for a while yet.

Last edited by Cee Cee; 08-28-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling
08-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
Thanks Richard, .... hey all you K5 owners, which would you think would be better, buy a Kr and spend the extra money on a really good lens (or two) or buy a K5 with a lesser lens with a view to possibly upgrading to a better lens at a later date. I tend to think buy the better camera and possibly end up with the best of both in the future, but then again a "bird in hand ...." it would be nice to start taking better images (due to the lens) straight away, rather than look back and think if only I had that better lens when I took this shot! I look forward to your thoughts.
Well since you have that old SMC Tak 50/1.4 you don't have to worry about starting with a "Lesser" lens But there are some very nice newer ones too !
So it seems to me you are already hooked and it won't matter what you do as far as the body goes you will still be acquiring more glass just like the rest of us addicts

Welcome to the best site on both sides of the planet !

Eric
08-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not to worry Cee Cee.
The *ist DL can still take great 6Mp photos.
Start slow with the costs and fast with the practice (and learning), and soon enough when you've saved up what you need for an upgrade, you'll know exactly what to upgrade to.
08-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
mmmmmm,........ erkie, I see you have me pegged already,... I thought if I spent more time on this forum it would help keep me off ebay. !

08-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Sadly the market place section of this forum is worse than ebay.... lol
08-30-2011, 03:44 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
Just published today - Melbourne most livable city in the world - Melbourne Takes Title of World's Most Livable City

Of course us who live here have known this for a long time and with its history of good city living and reputation for the arts, culture, theatres, good restaurants, parks, sporting venues and beautiful weather with its occasional cleansing rain is it any wonder that sophisticated and informed Melbournians are the ones more likely to select PENTAX gear over anything else? :ugh:

Greetings
08-30-2011, 04:43 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Most Livable City -mmm... we may have dodged a bullet there ! (I live in the northern suburbs)
08-30-2011, 05:17 AM   #26
TH1

Must have been a Melbanian journo. No one who lives outside Melbourne would agree.

Oh, and G'day from the Midwest, Western Australia (the much better bit)
08-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi TH1,
yeah the West ain't bad, I lived in Bunbury for a few years as a young kid, school just over the road from the beach, many a hot afternoon spent under the pier catching skipjack with a hand line, life wasn't all bad. bit of a culture shock when I got back to Melbourne and found myself in an all ashphelt school yard where the puddles had frozen over to be solid ice, playing football in plastic sandals. But Melbourne's good, I like the diversity of cultures, food etc and yes even the weather. Every day's an adventure.
08-30-2011, 06:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TH1 Quote
Must have been a Melbanian journo. No one who lives outside Melbourne would agree.
I dunno, I'm down here in Melbourne from Sydney for a few days, been looking at a few rooms since I'll be relocating here for work soon, and I like what I see!
09-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi pop4, I think one of the biggest differences you'll notice are the roads in and around the city, that's what I noticed when I first visited Sydney. (I enjoyed Sydney by the way). Melbourne tends to be more "spread out".